How to increase water pressure for the garden hose.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am a plumber by trade...Where you live vs. where someone else lives will deliver two separate water qualities (Municipalities pull from different sources and have different treatment plans). In fact where you live compared to someone else in YOUR OWN TOWN will deliver different water quality. The water treatment plant here in our Municipality puts enough chlorine in the water that prevents any bacteria from growing for seven days, the maximum time they tested water taking to get to the end of the run. Now if you live close to the treatment facility, your chlorine levels will be significantly higher than someone in town who lives further away from the plant. My tap water at my house tests higher than our swimming pool...

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are multiple options avail to increase water pressure and flow rate . Delivery pipe or hose diameter can matter . This can be elaborate . Like a dedicated larger plumbing pipe system to your outside tap . Or as simple as a larger diameter and shorter length garden hose . All to the restriction on the end . Ie the rose or the fogger nozzle another high restriction source is the normal screw type outside hose tap replace it with a quarter turn ball valve This has a round ball that when opened you can see thru it full size of the pipe . . Next up in the equation is water pressure in the hose . Easy to get a water pressure gage at any good hardware plumbing store . Keep in mind there is a difference of water pressure available . Dead headed that is water pressure available when it’s not flowing . And water pressure when it’s actually flowing . Water pressure can easily be increased there is a vast amount of booster pumps available most are designed to increase water flow to a household shower . Ideal for the need . Again simple on with a switch or complicated auto monitors water pressure and increases as needed . Go to a quality hardware store and talk to a person with brain cells if not move to another store . Pipe size x pressure is flow rate ie a 3 inch fireman hose flows far more than a garden hose at same pressure . Keep it simple . Start with less restricted hose tap . Next larger internal size garden hose shorter is better . Next up a simple booster pump on a household electrical switch Turn the switch on and open the 1/4 turn valve you have full pipe flow at increased pressure . Add a adjustable pressure regulator if you want . Put what ever you want for a wand or nozzle at the end Use another 1/4 turn high flow valve to control flow to the wand

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have one are those but the wand is so short and I have to walk up close to every single tree so I didn't like it much lol. When you have to water close to 100 trees at various locations its a drag.

I do water my 100 plus bonsai with a japanese wand.
I find it soothing.

20220422_144834.jpg

I enjoy my time with every plant, I stop and check for pests, or new growth, flowers and fruits.
I did add a small pump to increase the pressure, and it works fine.

20220326_101537.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do water my 100 plus bonsai with a japanese wand.
I find it soothing.

View attachment 462962

I enjoy my time with every plant, I stop and check for pests, or new growth, flowers and fruits.
I did add a small pump to increase the pressure, and it works fine.

View attachment 462961
What do you use for a wand

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of the most enjoyable and tranquil. Time I spend with my trees is watering them as the sun is coming up . Great way to start the day

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Having worn out or had several failures. Of the easy to find . Aluminum tubed . Cheap valves longer wand similar in design to yours . Available in garden centres . I’m planning to make my own . This winter . Quality brass plumbing 1/4 turn ball valve . Soldered to 3/4 inch copper pipe 45 degree elbow and another short section about 3.5 to 4 feet long all told . A garden hose is 3/4 NPT ( national pipe thread ) so that should be easy . What I would really like to find is a higher quality rose spray end . That will screw on. . Any ideas

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’m looking to get a a better rain head watering wand this winter. I noticed there are two options 16-30”. Can anyone attest to the pros and cons of each, not sure which one would be better for me. Thanks!
I like the 30" length, because it allows me to get the wand in under the foliage (when I want) and it allows me to water plants on the ground without stooping over.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the 30" length, because it allows me to get the wand in under the foliage (when I want) and it allows me to water plants on the ground without stooping over.
That was motivation for me too in getting the longer one. If I bend over I’m afraid I might not get back up 😂

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a very good option . . It’s manufactured buy Haws of England . I have had one for several years . It’s available from Lee Valley . It has several key attributes . It is solid brass one piece there’s no connections to leak or fail . Has a very sturdy all metal built in control valve . With a simple brass ring that will lock it on full flow . Has a very nice soft spray pattern . Very durable . Might have to check but I believe it is lifetime warranty .the spray rose is not removable but a soak in vinegar will restore it easily . . It’s one and only negative that I have experienced is after the valve it’s main length is about 3/8 of a inch diameter . This reduces water volume compared to some options . Especially if you have reduced pressure . But it’s high quality and great spray pattern are more important . The only reason I desire to make my own . Is to have a higher volume option for early morning before leaving for work . Watering . Otherwise it’s a joy to use

Attachments

• C7E3F1F9-581E-44EE-A73F-6BA8C8E0498A.png
    C7E3F1F9-581E-44EE-A73F-6BA8C8E0498A.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 19B327F6-9A11-4BBD-9607-B8EB5BDADC41.png
    19B327F6-9A11-4BBD-9607-B8EB5BDADC41.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom