How to Identify Different Types of JBP

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

I'm going to pick up some JBP next week from a local guy.

One is rough bark and the other is regular JBP...

here are the photos
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0028.jpg
DSC_0056.jpg
DSC_0031.jpg

So i'm new to this, how do i know if it's a rough bark and how do i know if its normal? and i still can't tell the difference between a JBP vs Euro black pine, or mugo or so on..

THanks

Juan

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That is a good question.I guess it is up to the propogator to put the name tags on them.Your Pines look very interesting.I like the way the grower is letting the sacrifice leaders grow to increase the quality of the trees.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
None of these are mature enough to really tell, but in almost every case, named cultivars are deliberately propagated to reproduce the specific cultivar, so efforts are made to maintain the integrity of the identity.

If you are asking if one is a corkbark, most of the time (99%), corkers are propagated by grafting known cultivars onto standard JBP seedling stock. These do not appear to be grafts, they look like wired seedlings.

This summer, I posted several black pines at different ages to share how bark matures. Take a look here:
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?8540-Pine-Bark-examples

The first one has nice taper and movement...have fun.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi thank you. Just curious, how can you tell it's a JBP? not a Euro Black Pine?

Thank you

jay

None of these are mature enough to really tell, but in almost every case, named cultivars are deliberately propagated to reproduce the specific cultivar, so efforts are made to maintain the integrity of the identity.

If you are asking if one is a corkbark, most of the time (99%), corkers are propagated by grafting known cultivars onto standard JBP seedling stock. These do not appear to be grafts, they look like wired seedlings.

This summer, I posted several black pines at different ages to share how bark matures. Take a look here:
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?8540-Pine-Bark-examples

The first one has nice taper and movement...have fun.

Top Bottom