How to go from a big pot to a bonsai pot

One thing to be aware of with boxwood, large cuts never heal over...NEVER. Small ones might, over time, truly callous and heal over completely, but large ones never do. At least from my experience and every boxwood bonsai I have ever seen, they all have scars. The good news is that the bark and exposed wood on box tend to be very close in color (look at your pic and you can see). The cuts look smoother than the bark, but overall the cuts are not nearly as noticeable as they are on some other species. So as you think on design, keep in mind that major scars are there forever. It may be different if you ground grow them, but box don't thicken up much from a couple of years in the ground. I had a few kingsville in the ground for 9 years and they went from pencil thickness to index finger thickness in that time. Not much for nearly a decade in a warm climate. Standard box grow faster. Still it takes decades to get a girthy trunk on a box. With all this in mind, I think Judy's suggestion of a broom style is more in keeping with this particular plant.

As far as pruning and root reduction, I have had no problems with doing both at the same time in the spring. Box have forgiving roots. The only boxwood I ever killed died because I didn't reduce the roots and repot it. Once you get this tree into a bonsai pot, be aware that the roots will overtake the volume of the pot fairly quickly. I would repot yearly or every other year. Otherwise the roots so fill the pot and getting water into the root mass becomes an issue.

So I guess I'll definitely cover the whole pot in mulch for the winter. I've got a while to decide for certain, but I think in spring I'll remove the extra trunk, and maybe a bit off the top. I'll put it in the pot and consider a style from there. I really appreciate everyone's advice... thanks.

I'm starting to think Bonsai is like fishing. If you ask 3 people a question you'll get 3 different answers, and to make things worse all 3 answers will be correct at least in some sense....The general consensus seems to be project the roots through the winter and then in spring do some work...either root work, pruning, or both...I live in a townhouse with a stone patio so I don't have a garden to bury the plant in for the winter. I've always just left it where it is without doing anything good the roots and it's been fine. Will I be alright if I just put mulch over the roots? Would soil be better than mulch?
yes i am also having this revelation. the more i read the more confused I get. The more people i speak to the different answers i get. I've found a local bonsai club that are meeting tonight so im off tonight to see if they can help me get started :)

yes i am also having this revelation. the more i read the more confused I get. The more people i speak to the different answers i get. I've found a local bonsai club that are meeting tonight so im off tonight to see if they can help me get started :)

It's the same with just about every hobby. There are large general rules that everyone should follow, but you'll get differing advice and opinions on many little things. Just try different suggestions and find what works best for you.

It's the same with just about every hobby. There are large general rules that everyone should follow, but you'll get differing advice and opinions on many little things. Just try different suggestions and find what works best for you.

Being very new to bonsai it's not the multitude of opinions that is confusing but the seeming lack of hard rules. A ten commandments of bonsai would be very helpful. There doesn't even seem to be agreement on what the mistakes are. I think the vast varieties of plants and climates makes the whole practice very personal. The overarching theme seems to be find something that works for you. So far I really like this about bonsai. It's like playing jazz in slow motion with trees...

Being very new to bonsai it's not the multitude of opinions that is confusing but the seeming lack of hard rules. A ten commandments of bonsai would be very helpful. There doesn't even seem to be agreement on what the mistakes are. I think the vast varieties of plants and climates makes the whole practice very personal. The overarching theme seems to be find something that works for you. So far I really like this about bonsai. It's like playing jazz in slow motion with trees...
that's a good way to put it. Went to the club last night, Chopped up my thuja. Not sure i like the look of it tho. Time will tell. Even at the club they were like telling me different methods :)
20181012_082923.jpg

Did anyone mention that (I've been told) boxwood can be brought indoors over winter, like a tropical?

I'm sure someone here on Bnut told me that once....I was flabbergasted...but apparently its true...wish I could recall who said it...

Did anyone mention that (I've been told) boxwood can be brought indoors over winter, like a tropical?

I'm sure someone here on Bnut told me that once....I was flabbergasted...but apparently its true...wish I could recall who said it...

That's sounds way easier than the mulch mounding. I was thinking maybe just being them in if its going to freeze...

That's sounds way easier than the mulch mounding. I was thinking maybe just being them in if its going to freeze...
I have one box currently ..
I have never tried to keep it indoors.
But I have heard that....
Hopefully someone will chime in with some confirmation...
Otherwise its mere heresay....

Kingsville do fine indoors over the winter!

Back
Top Bottom