Looking for a big bonsai pot

Vindeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_1485.JPG IMG_1484.JPG I recently purchased this big beautiful arakawa Japanese maple measures 31 inches from top of soil 24 wide and trunk is 6.5 inches around. And is in a 16x16x5 container. Will need to repotted this up and coming spring. I'm looking for a nice pot for it maybe something with a inside diameter of roughly 16 x 12 x4. Please let me know if you have something or know somewhere I could find such a pot. Thanks a ton.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Check out the pot vendors at the upcoming Midwest Bonsai Exhibition

Contact them about what they might have in stock in the dimensions you seek, and they can bring it to the show. For what you will save in shipping, you can drive down to the show and pick it up :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fully agreed!

QuickMemo+_2017-07-27-05-38-58.png QuickMemo+_2017-07-27-05-38-58.png

Toll Free hour : twelve!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you can't find one at the show, get on Bonsai Auctions on Facebook. Some pretty nice stuff goes through there, including Matt Ouwinga's imports.

Also, a couple of things--This tree could stand some significant reduction on the apex in the future, which could reduce the needed dimensions of its final pot...I'd hold off buying a BIG 16"x16" pot for now and concentrate on developing the tree for a while to see where things go.

You really want a square pot for this tree? Trunk subtle movement suggests otherwise--even with the rough bark. I'd consider ovals or rounded rectangles for it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How much was that thing!?

That's not my pot :) It's a huge pot at the Huntington Gardens. We were on a behind-the-scenes tour checking out their bonsai work area. That is one of my bonsai buds, @michaelj standing in front of it. You could take a bath in it if you desired :)

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
I can bring you a pot.... Reorganizing now. I'll be vending there with Hidden Gardens. I'll also be the guest artist at the Prarie State Exhibition next weekend if you'll be there. Please PM me.

Attachments

• IMG_2031.JPG
    IMG_2031.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 79

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
This is the biggest container I have available. 6 foot by 4 foot by 1 foot. Forklift or three strong friends necessary. That Huntington container is huge!

Attachments

• IMG_8285.jpg
    IMG_8285.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 74

Vindeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_1503.jpg Thanks for all your comments appreciate that. Holy crap those are some "BIG" bonsai pots! By the way I found thr pot for my arakawa jm. Sara Rayner pot,super stoked!!!

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 154964 Thanks for all your comments appreciate that. Holy crap those are some "BIG" bonsai pots! By the way I found thr pot for my arakawa jm. Sara Rayner pot,super stoked!!!

Always makes beautiful pots. That is a nice one.

She is usually at the Fall show at the Chicago Botanic Gardens as a vendor. May save yourself shipping charges and find some nice trees as well. It is the weekend of August 18 to 20 this year.

Vindeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always makes beautiful pots. That is a nice one.

She is usually at the Fall show at the Chicago Botanic Gardens as a vendor. May save yourself shipping charges and find some nice trees as well. It is the weekend of August 18 to 20 this year.
God I would love to but, 2yr old and one on the way. Only trees I'm looking at are the ones in my yard.(lol) Gonna try a make it a plan to go next year for sure. Start adding to my bonsai fund since I just blew it on this tree and pot.lol

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
That's not my pot :) It's a huge pot at the Huntington Gardens. We were on a behind-the-scenes tour checking out their bonsai work area. That is one of my bonsai buds, @michaelj standing in front of it. You could take a bath in it if you desired :)

Don't bonsai pots have drainage holes in the bottoms?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 154964 Thanks for all your comments appreciate that. Holy crap those are some "BIG" bonsai pots! By the way I found thr pot for my arakawa jm. Sara Rayner pot,super stoked!!!
Nice pot. Sara makes excellent containers.

However, spending $300 on a "final" pot for this tree seems a bit excessive. You have some work to do in reducing the top and other stuff. I have a feeling you may wind up with that pot looking like a bathtub for the tree. Just sayin'.

Vindeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably not a " forever" pot but I will definitely rock this pot for a while why I do some work on the tree. Thanks for comments I do Appreciate them.

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
Leave it in the pot it's in now; or, if it needs repotting, just repot it in the same container. As @rockm said, you're going to want to do some work on that tree. It's understandable you want to "rock it;" it's nice material. But don't spend $$$ on a pot now. You want to know the exact dimensions you'll want for the design you develop. You might end up needing something custom made. IMO, at this point, the overall aspect of the tree calls for a low, lean, graceful oval.

Top Bottom