How to briefly protect conifers from winter?

RockyGrowth

Seedling
Reaction score
The majority of this winter it’s been quite warm to the point that I haven’t fretted about winter protection for the two conifers that I currently have, but there’s a winter outflow coming in and then weathers going to drop to -10 and -17 for a few days, so I’m wondering what’s the best way to protect the two trees. One is a Japanese white pine while the other is a juniper. My issue is that I don’t have a cold frame or green house, so my best thought is to simply put them in my garage for the night when it drops to those temperatures. If anyone has any other ideas though I would love to hear them.

You should add your location to your profile so people can give you more specific information in the future. A garage is a good idea, or bury the pot in the ground if you don’t want it in the garage.

See @TrevorLarsen's post for starters. Especially that bit about location. Knowing more about what climate you're dealing with will help immensely.

Garage is a good bet. Many of us do that as a standard.
If for some reason that becomes less of an option, and you're not up for digging holes as said before, on the ground out of direct sun, then burry up to the level of the pot with mulch. If mulching doesn't work for you for some reason, on the ground up against the north side of your house (I'm assuming you're in the northern hemisphere since we're talking winter protection) then throw a box or something over them.

Lots of options, but they mostly start with on trees directly on the ground.
But an unheated attached garage is awesome too.

Ah, BC, so your temps were in Celsius then. Good to know. International community here, but the majority of us are in The States thinking Fahrenheit. Big difference.

Yeah, your garage should be just fine. I'm heading into the time of year here where we can see -20C or worse, and trees like yours will take it with the mulch plan I mentioned.

BTW, welcome to the nuthouse!

Welcome aboard, always nice to have more folks in the region.

It’s sure been a warm winter! I’ve had my trees bedded in, but its scarcely gotten below freezing since I put them down there. This cold snap is coming out of nowhere, glad you’re thinking ahead about it. I actually just got an email from the club about it.

I expect most my alpine conifers to be fine, I plan to just place them on the ground out of the wind. One of my trees was recently potted (shipped in a bag of roots) and that one I will be bringing inside for those two nights, and a heat mat during the days. Always good to keep in mind recent work.

Back
Top Bottom