How Does This Look So Far In Regards To Repotting?

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did I do enough to knock the potting soil out of the roots? Is it okay if some potting soil remains? Did I go too far?

412692579.jpg

412692578.jpg

412692577.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I personally like to wash the roots 100% clean! But as long as you got it in some good soil and stabilized so it doesn't shake around, it'll be just fine. Jades are about as tough as it gets, not in regards to cold but being able to take a beating!

Aaron

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for your responses.

Here is the final product. Remember, I am trying to grow this up a bit, so this is what the Bonsai place said to do in order to do that. Putting it into a regular pot.

412692625.jpg

412692624.jpg

412692623.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What bonsai place are you speaking of? Most people put things in shallower pots...or in grow boxes or oversized pots for development...I'm sure it will be fine for now...but, I might think to repot this next year into a shallower pot. Oversized...more wider and less deep.

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What bonsai place are you speaking of? Most people put things in shallower pots...or in grow boxes or oversized pots for development...I'm sure it will be fine for now...but, I might think to repot this next year into a shallower pot. Oversized...more wider and less deep.

This pot is much bigger than the one that it was in. That much I do know.

The place is called The Bonsai Shop in Ft. Lauderdale. He was growing some jade in some shallower pots as well as deeper pots as well. He said either would be fine.

Below is about the size I would like for it to get.

412692653.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The shallower pot...is better. Helps in developing lateral roots for later. Isn't detrimental to your jade in a regular pot. Many grow potted jade as houseplants.Just for bonsai purposes...the shallower pot helps in the long term of development of nebari and roots.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
These are great but expect to grow it for a few years to reach that size. Be patient and just make sure you don't overwater it, Keep it on the very dry side. Perhaps only water once or twice a week. Will like to be outside in dappled sun. welcome and good luck.

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are great but expect to grow it for a few years to reach that size. Be patient and just make sure you don't overwater it, Keep it on the very dry side. Perhaps only water once or twice a week. Will like to be outside in dappled sun. welcome and good luck.

Dappled sun?

I know after repotting I shouldn't water it till there is new growth. Since it is just repotted, do I keep it in the shade for a couple weeks or is any amount of sun okay?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dappled sun?

I know after repotting I shouldn't water it till there is new growth. Since it is just repotted, do I keep it in the shade for a couple weeks or is any amount of sun okay?
Shade and no water till you see new growth! At that point you can start moving it to full sun slowly and watering normal. I water mine everyday in summer, never had an issue. I only make sure to keep dry when there is root damage.

Aaron

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Only left it on for now since I'm not watering it currently. Figured when I water it I will take it off.
Guess you didn't wire in any plastic mesh prior to repotting then. It helps the substrate stay inside the pot. Just don't forget to remove it later. I might be more apt to remove it while it was fresh on my mind.

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
Did I do enough to knock the potting soil out of the roots? Is it okay if some potting soil remains? Did I go too far?

412692579.jpg

412692578.jpg

412692577.jpg

Your tree has excellent root development for such a small tree! I just picked up some 1" diameter portulacarias that had 7" long tap roots on them and barely any feeders. When I root pruned them this morning they had barely anything going into the pot.

I think a *slight* exception to the "don't water it until you see growth" rule is if you pot into cactus soil. That stuff is so fluffy that a little water to compact the soil is almost required to even keep the tree in the pot. I dampen the surface to get the soil packed in tightly and then run it extra dry.

I've never tried wiring a portulacaria in through cactus soil but I need to give it shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom