How Does one Become a Bonsai Authority?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Airing ones views doesn't make them an authority. It is a discussion and a method may work for some but others may want to try another. Some people only do what they already know, some want to experiment. Interpretation of "common" and "basic" knowledge may also differ since it is passed by word of mouth and changes (it turns into a gossip) and sometimes need to be re-set. You'd be amazed how many interpretations you will get from a dozen people after reading same article. Then so much more after hearing the same lecture. Imagine what happens to the same info after it was passed 10 times. :) What do you think happens if one master uses one of those mis-interpretations? Just imagine.

As you said...knowledge are scattered as "crumbs" and it is up to us to find them. Pick up what we think are useful and ignore what doesn't make sense. That is what most of us do. I do not accept anyone's word as-is. I always question it (that is my nature) and encourage others to do the same. Yes, yours may be mostly correct but don't be offended if some I disagree with.

We have our own filters and as for me...I know lots of you think that anything (and everything) I say is garbage. I don't mind :) but hopefully there is someone out there who understands my message because I really believe them and share trying to help & educate--not to be an authority.

Somehow...I feel I should have stuck with this though.
View attachment 45881

P.S. BTW, I too can and have been mistaken. ;)

In all the time I have seen and read of you on this forum, I have never, not once, seen you show one picture of any success in anything you have disagreed with. If you have a way that is proven to grow out pine trunks with out growing something on the tree taller, then that would be something that the world would like to know about. Provide the documentation as to your radical new approach to height restricted pine trunks and start earning a merit badge towards some authority.
...or.....
If this is one of those times you are mistaken then just say so and move on. Even a blind squirrell finds an acorn some of the time.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeah, but some of us have absolutely no interest in becoming a bonsai "authority." We just want to DO bonsai.

And some don't want to really do bonsai they just want to be a bonsai authority.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The problem I have with most of what you post is that it all comes down to a flip of the coin. 50-50. All you do is say IMHO. Why say anything if it isnt definitive and proven from experience? Take a stand and state your position. Otherwise, to me it amounts to " blah blah blah".

You can't take a stand if the cement is still wet; you'll sink in up to your knees.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In all the time I have seen and read of you on this forum, I have never, not once, seen you show one picture of any success in anything you have disagreed with. If you have a way that is proven to grow out pine trunks with out growing something on the tree taller, then that would be something that the world would like to know about. Provide the documentation as to your radical new approach to height restricted pine trunks and start earning a merit badge towards some authority.
...or.....
If this is one of those times you are mistaken then just say so and move on. Even a blind squirrell finds an acorn some of the time.

From the 6th sense movie..."...old people only see what they want to see." :)

clic8991

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Smoke,This seems like a rhetorical question and a projection of an existing philosophy onto a bonsai forum, meaning you taking your views about the world out on us. I see you as a leader on the forum, but the nature of how you ask questions usually makes me want to participate in the forum less. This is fine, but to me, the forums exist almost exclusively because there is not an excess of bonsai authorities. I am still new to bonsai, but have been on the forum for a bit, I can understand most of your references, but I would think only a handful of people have the history on the forum to know what you are talking about. Still it is a valid question, though I need some clarification.

In the white pine thread Chris V. had mentioned that the only way to increase size was thru height. Dario disagreed. He said that a lush branch with leaves (needles) will do the same thing. He also mentioned lanky branches being of no use and how lush branches are better.
What does he base this on?

Experience? Over how many years and how many species.

First, in your example Chris V. is just as at fault as Poink88. Chris V. is (relatively) new to bonsai and provides no pictures or experience to back up his claims. Why do you highlight Poink88 as the failure, when Chris V. is just as guilty? because you agree with Chris? Is this a principled argument?

Second, you recently had a strong pro free market capitalism response to a forum member criticizing someone from peddling junk on ebay. Is it any different when you are shopping for information vs goods on the internet? Buyer beware, especially with free advice. I have trouble resolving your seemingly dissonant attitudes towards trade of goods and trade of information. In essence, the same people who are paying for crud bonsai at the mall and the internet are trying to learn and be heard on the forum. Not everyone, immediately, has a keen sense of value and art and form and truth, especially in a new field.

I still maintain that a good discussion forum should require pictures of past work and success with the species before one opens their mouth. It does no one any good here to just post opinions without substantial backup to ones claims.

Lately I have seen a huge influx of people here new and old asking for the shortest path to making bonsai.

Third, Do you have data/pictures to make the claim about this influx of people or are you just feeling out an idea, saying it out loud to see if its true? The issue of authority is complex, in this case you seem to suggest that there is some fixed absolute authority that should be revered. The problem with this strategy is that it is an oligarchy (I am not trying to be condescending here just simplifying the argument to make my point). In this organization few people have authoritative experience and many acolytes who follow their procession. A different, perhaps sloppier organization, creates a greater distribution of ideas (more freedom) with fewer clear authorities. While it is difficult to tolerate at times, the resistance to authority and headstrong attitude of this organization assures that these new ideas and methods are imbued into a field. This rebellious attitude is not logical, it is cocky and blind, simply because authorities are never completely correct. Most of these people fail, but a few may reach higher than the acyolytes who are largely derivative of their authorities. It is possible that having two communicating populations of either strategy is ultimately more successful than either one alone. Also, the appropriate philosophy (all are not mentioned here) may vary over time and available resources. This means that criticism of a particular philosophy may be premature if their is a long term return on the philosophy. If bonsai is to be an art it can have no absolute authority.

The ability to learn is only governed by ones attitude towards listening.

Then why are you simultaneously asking people to take the autonomous initiative to practice on 10 Junipers? This sort of action would represent some deviation from listening based deference to authority.

There is so much for the small group on our forum to learn from Japan, Europe, little trees, everything and everywhere, and in the end I don't particularly disagree with you, in the sense that all your sentences individually make sense, but as a whole, I have a different strategy towards living and learning.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke,This seems like a rhetorical question and a projection of an existing philosophy onto a bonsai forum, meaning you taking your views about the world out on us. I see you as a leader on the forum, but the nature of how you ask questions usually makes me want to participate in the forum less. This is fine, but to me, the forums exist almost exclusively because there is not an excess of bonsai authorities. I am still new to bonsai, but have been on the forum for a bit, I can understand most of your references, but I would think only a handful of people have the history on the forum to know what you are talking about. Still it is a valid question, though I need some clarification.

You are correct, if it was only bonsai authorities here is would be another Bonsai Study Group and that would be boring.

First, in your example Chris V. is just as at fault as Poink88. Chris V. is (relatively) new to bonsai and provides no pictures or experience to back up his claims. Why do you highlight Poink88 as the failure, when Chris V. is just as guilty? because you agree with Chris? Is this a principled argument?

Well, I am not sure about how much you know about these two guys. Being new to a forum does not necessarily mean one is new to bonsai. I know based on reading Dario's first pots here that he was a newbie and that seeing Chris; work and pictutres that he has been doing bonsai for much longer and is just a new poster, not a new bonsai person. There is a difference. Dario was here about April last year 2012, and Chris just a couple months ago. First, I follow Chris' blog found here:

http://chrisvbonsai.wordpress.com/

I highly recommend it to anyone. I went searching for some of Dario's work to compare it to Chris', but it seems that Dario has removed every picture from this forum. Some of Chris' work can be seen below.

Further, lets compare what was said in the exchange. Chris made two posts. One was his original, and the other was his follow up after using the word "only". I strongly feel, based on my experience with bonsai and growing that his first comment needed no correcting. He is a far more cival human than I.

Post 1
My advice would be, plant it in a colander or pond basket to thicken the trunk.
It will develop roots and when the tips come in contact with the air the search another way.
This will give you a nice compact rootball.
When the trunk is not yet the desired thickness put the colander in a bigger one and let it grow.
If it is thick enough just take the colander out of the other and prune the roots off.

When it is growing thicker you can work on backbudding and build up a branch structure already.
One most important thing is that you let the top shoot as high as it can without pruning.
Only height will give you thickening and at the end you just cut it of.

Post 2
Indeed didn't meant to use the word only that literally.
However growing in full ground conditions may it be a pond basket or whatever, can also help you thicken the trunk using a sucker at the base of the tree. This will thicken the tree at that point after a while but they mostly are so close to the base that they need to be removed.
This will leave a big scar or jin.
But also length growth is needed to thicken the whole trunk even and crate some taper.

General rule in trees in general is the bigger they get the thicker trunks they get.
Since pines are apical dominant they need a bigger trunk to send all those resources up the ever growing top that wants to go high.
If growth in the top is limited spread over several branches trunks don't thicken much and flow of nutrition is balanced.
Thats why they develop the weaker lower branches first while letting the top shoot sky high and if that is done, cut off the top growing branch and form an apex out of smaller branches.

Lets look at Dario's response:

Sorry but I disagree. It may be the fastest way but not the only way.

He acknowledges the fact that it is the fastest yet has to add that it is not the "only" way, meaning there are other ways. All I wish to see are the other ways he suggests. I grew my tridents from one inch to four inches with the use of tall sacrifice branches in 6 years. I put them in little pots in 2009 and in 5 years I have ramified them but the trunks have not grown perceptably. So based on my experience, and without pictures from either of them, Chris gave sound advice and Dario disagreed for basicly post count and just to well... disagree. What did he gain by the disagreement? Again, he only validated that he after one year wishes to be a bonsai authority.

On pines, Dario posted this just over a year ago:

May 22nd, 2012, 12:50 PM

What pine is easiest for a newbie?
That question might be an oxymoron but my wife, after going to a bonsai show with me this weekend, insisted that I must have a pine. I warned her that it will be very slow and difficult but she retorted if I am not up to the challenge. With blessings to spend the money for a new tree, who am I to argue? LOL

She really like JBP but I want to ask first before I invest on one. Also, please note that I am in zone 8b (Texas) and not sure which variety can handle the heat best.

Any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?8027-What-pine-is-easiest-for-a-newbie

So from May 22, 2012 to Dec 22, 2013 Dario has become an authority on pines that many here who have been doing bonsai for decades will admitt that pines scare the hell out of them, and can challenge a guy who shares picture of trees like those below.

I hope I have made myself clear in my judgement call.....

Second, you recently had a strong pro free market capitalism response to a forum member criticizing someone from peddling junk on ebay. Is it any different when you are shopping for information vs goods on the internet? Buyer beware, especially with free advice. I have trouble resolving your seemingly dissonant attitudes towards trade of goods and trade of information. In essence, the same people who are paying for crud bonsai at the mall and the internet are trying to learn and be heard on the forum. Not everyone, immediately, has a keen sense of value and art and form and truth, especially in a new field.

Thats why they should seek out those in authority.

Third, Do you have data/pictures to make the claim about this influx of people or are you just feeling out an idea, saying it out loud to see if its true? The issue of authority is complex, in this case you seem to suggest that there is some fixed absolute authority that should be revered. The problem with this strategy is that it is an oligarchy (I am not trying to be condescending here just simplifying the argument to make my point). In this organization few people have authoritative experience and many acolytes who follow their procession. A different, perhaps sloppier organization, creates a greater distribution of ideas (more freedom) with fewer clear authorities. While it is difficult to tolerate at times, the resistance to authority and headstrong attitude of this organization assures that these new ideas and methods are imbued into a field. This rebellious attitude is not logical, it is cocky and blind, simply because authorities are never completely correct. Most of these people fail, but a few may reach higher than the acyolytes who are largely derivative of their authorities. It is possible that having two communicating populations of either strategy is ultimately more successful than either one alone. Also, the appropriate philosophy (all are not mentioned here) may vary over time and available resources. This means that criticism of a particular philosophy may be premature if their is a long term return on the philosophy. If bonsai is to be an art it can have no absolute authority.

This statement had nothing to do with pictures. This was a statement that went back over a decade ago in which forum participants used to suggest to people to buy ten junipers and wire them and make something presentable. Learn the basics to rote. That is what I used to suggest. That idea is dated and not deemed worthy anymore. We meaning the forum. Now it is suggested to put it in the ground and grow it big with no consideration on how to do that, and even if that was an option, half of those giving that suggestion will have never grown anything in the ground.

Or spend great gobs of money and buy better material, the way to better bonsai is by buying better material right? You don't have to know how to repot, or make correct soil, how to wire and prune, when to do it or how to grow sacrifice branches, just buy the better stuff and your on your way.
I have absoluetly no problem with anyone teaching this old dog a new trick. Just show me what you did, over how many years and what the process is. I don't think thats too much to ask.

Then why are you simultaneously asking people to take the autonomous initiative to practice on 10 Junipers? This sort of action would represent some deviation from listening based deference to authority.

Because thats the sound advice that used to be given on forums. If I said that now I would be laughed off the forum.

There is so much for the small group on our forum to learn from Japan, Europe, little trees, everything and everywhere, and in the end I don't particularly disagree with you, in the sense that all your sentences individually make sense, but as a whole, I have a different strategy towards living and learning.

Then by all means share it!

I present the works of Chris Verdel, pictures lifted from this forum. Not only is he a great bonsai artist, he is one hell of a photographer as well.

Attachments

• foto%20(6).jpg
    foto%20(6).jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 52
  • foto%202.jpg
    foto%202.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Mame%20juni2.JPG
    Mame%20juni2.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Picea.JPG
    Picea.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
So I'm curious about this issue of the length of the branch being a determinant of branch diameter. I think that for a long time botanists have gone with the 'pipe theory' or branch structure (allometry.) This is that the smaller pipes feed into medium sized pipes that feed into larger pipes and that determines diameter. See figure 4 on the left:
http://treephys.oxfordjournals.org/content/25/1/39.long
I'm not an expert but I've read a little.

So Al proclaimed (I think) that it's the length of the sacrifice branch that determines it's diameter or ability to thicken the trunk. Now I wonder if it's really the length that does it or is it rather that the length is the result of other factors (good light, leaf area growth, secondary branch growth, etc.) So if everything is going gangbusters with the branch then it lengthens (and yes it thickens) but it's not really the length that is causing the thickening but rather the fact that it's going gangbusters.

I also really wonder whether removing the proximal (at the base) branches of a sacrifice branch really help it to thicken more or not. I know many remove those branches so they don't shade out the rest of the tree you're trying to develop. But Al I wonder have you actually compared removing the base branches on a sacrifice branch to not doing that? My gut tells me that leaving a few basal secondary branches on a sacrifice branch shouldn't slow it down. You've been asking the forum recently to show evidence to support assertions. I support that as an ideal but it's not always gonna happen. I know you've had a lot of success and have been generous enough to share your knowledge with us. But can I see the evidence that a sacrifice branch does a better job without it's lower little branchlets?

with respect,
Ian

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hee Hee Al,

I side stepped your post. A bit obvious isn't it. Someone posts on BSG, about Master classes and you start a top on - Bonsai Authority ?

Just a bit obvious - chuckle.

BUT you are correct, such a mantle is placed on shoulders by those considered to be Bonsai Authorities.

Like I said, this group has too much anger.
Good Day
Anthony

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ian,

a little Bonsai secret.

Growing a sacrificial branch, to great lengths, to trunk thicken, can also be achieved, by simply keeping said branch growing. So if you have a shoot say 1 inch from the point it attaches to the trunk, and it's growing, you can cut back to that shoot and just leave it to grow, and just repeat that action as long as you wish.

Once the zone is growing food has to be made and passed on. The thickening will continue.

Most new to bonsai will stick with long, long extensions, but never reason it out.
It's a thinkers game.
Good Day
Anthony

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the white pine thread Chris V. had mentioned that the only way to increase size was thru height. Dario disagreed. He said that a lush branch with leaves (needles) will do the same thing. He also mentioned lanky branches being of no use and how lush branches are better.
What does he base this on?

Experience? Over how many years and how many species.

In my experience, over many years, sacrifice branches have been used as the most reliable and fastest method for growing out trunks. Also in my experience, using sacrifice branches, deciduous trees and conifers respond equally as well to this method. As to lanky growth, all professional growers and even non professional growers like me remove all the leaves or needles from the sacrifice branch leaving only the apical growth on the branch to do the work for the next season.
It is increased length (height) that produces more wood in the trunk and this is achieved faster if all the side leaves are removed so that the sacrifice will focus all its energy into elongation rather than branching. Keeping a branch "lush" is not the same thing as unrestricted elongation in a branch when growing wood for a trunk.

How convenient that everything that I posted was quoted and the most important (pertinent to this thread issue) was paraphrased. LOL

Smoke really? It is the length of branch that causes thickening and not the leaves/foliage? Really? Ask yourself, how is the wood (lignin) made? Then maybe (just maybe) you will understand where I am coming from and why there is no need for pictures to understand it. Have a good day :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Dario disagreed for basicly post count and just to well... disagree. What did he gain by the disagreement? Again, he only validated that he after one year wishes to be a bonsai authority.
This was exactly my point yesterday. Fine to disagree, but show an alternative or you're just being disagreeable... And here, from a relatively ignorant position.

it seems that Dario has removed every picture from this forum.
Pictures of work and results add "authority" in this hobby, 5k posts edited to only text. What's up with that?

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Deja vu going on in this thread.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Smoke said:
Dario disagreed for basicly post count and just to well... disagree. What did he gain by the disagreement? Again, he only validated that he after one year wishes to be a bonsai authority.
This was exactly my point yesterday. Fine to disagree, but show an alternative or you're just being disagreeable... And here, from a relatively ignorant position.
Apparently, you guys know me better than myself. All this talk about me wanting to be an authority is YOUR perception. Not mine. Please stop being insecure...I am nothing but a newbie. If you missed it, my bonsai start date is in my sig line so all will know.

Smoke said:
it seems that Dario has removed every picture from this forum.
Pictures of work and results add "authority" in this hobby, 5k posts edited to only text. What's up with that?
What up with that? Things like THIS. :) Maybe a little more push and you can get rid of me for good. :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think he is related to Akio Farquot

Man, you guys are sharp.

Thats what is great about the internet. Once you post it, people can find it and make you eat your words. Thats why a person should come at this thing with experience and not just BS. I love it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I google both Herkimer P Farquot and Akio Farquot.
The first search returns were for this thread.

So...Im lost as to this reference.

The second search tried to get me to change it to Lord Farquaad, which is a bit iroinc.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OK PEOPLE that's enough mud slinging .....if you need to do more, go the PM route.

Back to the question? HHHMMMM

Bonsai authority?, expert?, master? That would/could have a very different meaning to each of us.
I still think of myself as a newbie (even though I'm into my second decade) especially with some of the species I'm growing.....however on the subject of native species I've been growing, I probably have more knowledge of them than others on this forum as many folks here wouldn't have a clue what to do as they don't grow well too far south.

Smoke - you've got a ton of experience with growing maples and as such I'd look to your threads/posts (as I have many times) to gain some insight on how to grow them. So do we give you the title of authority? I don't think you look for that, you just pass on the info that has worked for you. But could you give the same advise on say Mountain Hemlock - I'd say not.
I agree with you that to suggest someone has an authority on a subject, one has to have mastered the craft to a certain level and can show that through photos or presentations of their works. However do we have to have someone tell us that per se....I think not....But I also know that you don't come here looking for the recognition as such a skilled expert.

Lets get back to Bonsai trees and progression posts. Cheers from the great white north.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Smoke,

Everything you say is correct and further verified by many of the replies. It irritates me also

However people sounding off, either informed or not, is the way of the world and will always be so. Only thing we can do is to try to figure out from whom we should learn and follow advice.

A wonderful professor of mine says " those that understand, understand."

Merry Christmas,

Augustine

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Dario provides fairly good entertainment value.
For that matter so does Smoke.
What else are we supposed to do while waiting for trees to grow or chill hours to accumulate?
Maybe we should have a thread for mudslinging... we could even include politics.
How about the name 'karaoke bar?'
Ian

Top Bottom