Hi no maru azalea

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Picked up a couple of small hi-no-maru azaleas from Dave Kreutz at the bonsai show at the National Arboretum a few weeks ago. According to Kreutz, it's a newer variety that is all the rage in Japan now because the flowers look like their rising sun national flag.

IMG_1815.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
love the flower. I get a hold of David K and see if he has more.

are the flowers big or small? leaf size? is it more upright or more spreading? Good for shohin?
Tiny bloom, leaves slightly larger than Chinzan but quite small. Bark is very cinamon, gorgeous variety. I'll post some pics if interested, picked up a nice shohin a couple years ago.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, didn't see your question. The leaves are about 3/4" and the flowers are probably 1.25-1.5" across so on the smaller side. The two I have are uprights, and should be fine for shohin. Not sure how fast they grow or how fast the thicken though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry, didn't see your question. The leaves are about 3/4" and the flowers are probably 1.25-1.5" across so on the smaller side. The two I have are uprights, and should be fine for shohin. Not sure how fast they grow or how fast the thicken though.
Still working these mcpesq817?..

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, still have the two I bought two years ago.

Interestingly, this year, the flowers were mostly white on one. I read that sometimes satsuki flowers are sometimes painted to get a little more color, so hopefully that's not the case with mine. I believe some of the later flowers did come out with a red center, but definitely not as dark as when I bought them.

Top Bottom