Help with Chinese Juniper from nursery please.

I believe this one is Parsons juniper. I have 2 and this looks a lot like them.
Get ready for it to change to juvenile foliage. You can see it starting on some of the ends of the adult foliage in the picture. Don't worry.

I thought that Parsons or Parsonii were just cultivars of Chinese Junipers? I also thought that Parsons junipers typically grow upright?

About the juvenile foliage, it had some when I got it but most of it was old and hardened or yellowing. I cut all that off and left the green juvenile stuff. There's only 3-4 shoots of juvenile foliage that has new growing tips, so I've got my fingers crossed that it stays that way. The rest of the scale foliage has the little nubby bright green tips. I've been watching for little needles to pop out of it but it seems good so far.

San Jose aren't nana procumbens.
San Jose has larger foliage. Rarely gets mature foliage.

I believe this one is Parsons juniper. I have 2 and this looks a lot like them.
Get ready for it to change to juvenile foliage. You can see it starting on some of the ends of the adult foliage in the picture. Don't worry.

I was going over the plant today after watering and looking at all the juvenile shoots. I couldn't find more than 3 that kinda looked like they had new growing tips. They looked healthy for sure. I did find a couple of spots that seemed to be reverting back to mature foliage. Is it normal for the plant to do both pushing new juvy stuff and reverting to mature at the same time? Is this an indication of something significant? Also, I think two of the three trunks are independent plants, so could one be maturing and one be pushing juvenile shoots?

This thing is confusing me...... lol. I'll just watch it for now. Here's a couple pics. The first one is the healthy juvy shoots. Can't fully tell if they are growing or not. They don't have a bright green tip.

The second is the juvy going mature that I found.

IMG_6478.JPG IMG_6479.JPG

Ohhhhhh... You think her place is a Bonsai Nursery? When you visit a real one you'll see the difference. She's about 30 minutes from me but I would never buy material from her. I'm not saying she's a bad person but Roadside Sellers are just not my cup of tea.

View attachment 151369
Dorry has some really amazing material in the back if your carrying about ten grams of hundred dollar bills!
I bet my wife and I saw a million dollars worth of specimen trees when we were there, according to the tags.image.jpegi can't read the tag, but I think it was a bit over $15,000!image.jpeg$5,800 Satsuki that needed a repot for ten years!

Is it normal for the plant to do both pushing new juvy stuff and reverting to mature at the same time?
Yes.
They can have both.
I'll get pictures of my Parsons junipers.
They're like that too.

Nice tree. Focus first on just keeping trees healthy and alive. Do less learn more. Make sure you learn how much sun trees need. Choose trees that do well in your area! Learn how to water. Sign up for local bonsai club. I really like Bonsify YouTube channel for basics and advanced topics.

Have fun. I think your tree is 10-15 years old

Back
Top Bottom