Help with Chinese Juniper from nursery please.

Thanks! So, no Nanas eh??? Lol. I just bought two 12 year old field grown Nanas from a bonsai nursery I found about an hour and a half away from here. I've never seen any with this much mature foliage. Almost all of it is mature. Nice thick trunks.
Hopefully, that wasn't the take-away you got from @sorce . His posts tend to have multiple meanings but most of us have learned to read between the lines. o_O

Pro-nanas thrive here; you just can't be whacking and hacking, bending and twisting on them at will. I have several very healthy and happy specimens and it looks like you have a good start on yours.

Now, the most important question, where is there a Bonsai Nursery an hour and a half from the panhandle?

Hopefully, that wasn't the take-away you got from @sorce . His posts tend to have multiple meanings but most of us have learned to read between the lines. o_O

Pro-nanas thrive here; you just can't be whacking and hacking, bending and twisting on them at will. I have several very healthy and happy specimens and it looks like you have a good start on yours.

Now, the most important question, where is there a Bonsai Nursery an hour and a half from the panhandle?
Bonsai by Dori in Cottondale FL, close to Chipley on hwy 231. She sells local and imported bonsai. They have their own nursery. She said they have been growing junipers locally for over 20 years. She also sells pre-bonsai stock. $50 each or 3 for $125. She sells several different species and has some amazing display trees

Reactions: Vin
Bonsai by Dori in Cottondale FL, close to Chipley on hwy 231. She sells local and imported bonsai. They have their own nursery. She said they have been growing junipers locally for over 20 years. She also sells pre-bonsai stock. $50 each or 3 for $125. She sells several different species and has some amazing display trees
Ohhhhhh... You think her place is a Bonsai Nursery? When you visit a real one you'll see the difference. She's about 30 minutes from me but I would never buy material from her. I'm not saying she's a bad person but Roadside Sellers are just not my cup of tea.

070.jpg

I just bought two 12 year old field grown Nanas from a bonsai nursery

Those will need hours of thinning BUT call them first and find out how long they have been potted. If recent go gentle, if over a year thin away for health. If you just repotted them as the terracotta looks new wait to do a "light" thinning a week or so after you see a lot of new growth... ;) Juniper = go slow :)

Grimmy

Ohhhhhh... You think her place is a Bonsai Nursery? When you visit a real one you'll see the difference. She's about 30 minutes from me but I would never buy material from her. I'm not saying she's a bad person but Roadside Sellers are just not my cup of tea.

View attachment 151369
Have you been IN her place? She does sell $20 mallsai to drive by tourists, but she has some legit bonsai for sale and on display. Her nursery is not located at the shop. From what I understand, they have a nursery somewhere out by interstate 10. She may not be what everyone thinks is an ideal place to get stuff from, but she's the only thing within a days drive for me to find anything with a trunk bigger than a 1/2 inch....... lol

Those will need hours of thinning BUT call them first and find out how long they have been potted. If recent go gentle, if over a year thin away for health. If you just repotted them as the terracotta looks new wait to do a "light" thinning a week or so after you see a lot of new growth... ;) Juniper = go slow :)

Grimmy
She said they had been potted in growers pots but have not been repotted for years. Quite rootbound. She said that's why they have so much mature foliage. All I did was slide the entire root ball and soil out of the plastic pots, which were falling apart, completely intact, added some bonsai soil to the bottom of the terra-cotta and a screen on the drain hole, and place them into the new pot with a bit of soil around it to fill the pot. No pruning or loostening of soil, etc. They wouldn't stand on their own in the plastic pots so I had to do something to stabilize them and give them a heavier base so they wouldn't tip in the wind.

They wouldn't stand on their own in the plastic pots so I had to do something to stabilize them and give them a heavier base so they wouldn't tip in the wind.

Understood and you made good choices. Continue to care for them with Sun and Water. I would still wait though for obvious new growth before doing any trimming ;)

Grimmy

Have you been IN her place? She does sell $20 mallsai to drive by tourists, but she has some legit bonsai for sale and on display. Her nursery is not located at the shop. From what I understand, they have a nursery somewhere out by interstate 10. She may not be what everyone thinks is an ideal place to get stuff from, but she's the only thing within a days drive for me to find anything with a trunk bigger than a 1/2 inch....... lol
Yes, I have been and I've purchased a Juniper from her (which slowly died in about 4 months). Again, I'm not saying she's a bad person but basically the nicer trees inside are overpriced so you don't buy them. They are the bait to get you to buy one of the ones out front. She is committed to selling roadside bonsai and that's fine if that's what she wants to do. Anyway, I don't want to run anyone down so here's an interesting article from a well known artist in our community: https://adamaskwhy.com/2017/03/29/but-but-but-are-these-bonsai/

I understand that you couldn't make it to the club auction but there were some outstanding deals to be had. I even bought another Juniper (that I really didn't need) because I just couldn't pass it up. There were probably 50 -75 trees there and none of them sold for more than $100 if I remember correctly. If you can make it next year I'm sure it would be worth your while. Also, there will be another auction coming up for the club over in New Orleans I believe. Something to think about...

I understand that you couldn't make it to the club auction but there were some outstanding deals to be had. I even bought another Juniper (that I really didn't need) because I just couldn't pass it up. There were probably 50 -75 trees there and none of them sold for more than $100 if I remember correctly. If you can make it next year I'm sure it would be worth your while. Also, there will be another auction coming up for the club over in New Orleans I believe. Something to think about...
Yeah, I was drooling to go but my sister would have had my head if I bailed on her to go buy trees.. she doesn't get it..... lol. I did almost blow off the boat trip though...... lol. I will be attending the first meeting once they resume in September, hopefully we can meet. I'll be hard to miss...... short bearded guy covered in tattoos.. lol.

Update on the Chinese Juniper

It seems to be pretty happy with the "leave it alone" approach.... lol. It's getting full sun for a good part of the day and dappled shade late afternoons. Regular watering routine and misting on the hotter days when I'm not at work. Had to use some fertilizer I already had for a couple weeks until I got the Jack's that was recommended. I collected some moss from behind the shop at work to help keep the soil from drying too bad here in the Florida sun. It's been a pretty hot year so far. The foliage is greener than before and looking good. It's got a lot of new growth tips and a few really strong branch leaders.

Should I let these grow hard? I will eventually need to get the foliage back closer to the branches. It's quite leggy.

IMG_6447.JPG IMG_6448.JPG IMG_6449.JPG

If you bring it to our next meeting I can help you with what to do next. I sounds as though you have been caring for it very well. For now, just let it grow. We'll do some cutting at the meeting. In the meantime, start thinking about an image so you can develop a plan to get the tree there.

If you bring it to our next meeting I can help you with what to do next. I sounds as though you have been caring for it very well. For now, just let it grow. We'll do some cutting at the meeting. In the meantime, start thinking about an image so you can develop a plan to get the tree there.
Will do!

Reactions: Vin
But calling them San Jose is!
San Jose aren't nana procumbens.
San Jose has larger foliage. Rarely gets mature foliage.
Chinese Juniper
I believe this one is Parsons juniper. I have 2 and this looks a lot like them.
Get ready for it to change to juvenile foliage. You can see it starting on some of the ends of the adult foliage in the picture. Don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom