Heaters

Chickentimmy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,
Could you post pictures/links of your heaters for your greenhouses? Right now, it is 12 degrees F where I live, it says it feels like 5, but inside it is only 46 degrees on the top shelf and on the floor it is 36-38. I'm worried because I have a huge F. benjamina and this is supposed to be my tropical greenhouse. I cannot add another heater because the circuit only puts out 15 amps and my I think my current heater is 12.5. I have the 6x8 Harbor Frieght Greenhouse, but with many improvements to make it withhold our Boston winters. Does anyone have any ideas? My north wall is insulated, I just need some way to keep it warmer. I'm willing to pay more for a heater to keep my tropicals warm, seeing as they're mainly what I do.

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
cover everything but the door with bubble wrap. I had a single wall greenhouse in the past.. I covered it and was easily able to keep the temps up and saved on the electric bill

Chickentimmy

Seedling
Reaction score
cover everything but the door with bubble wrap. I had a single wall greenhouse in the past.. I covered it and was easily able to keep the temps up and saved on the electric bill

I tried doing that yesterday, but my greenhouse is too packed. I can't move any of my trees out of the way to put up the bubble wrap.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You might want to get a heat mat for the tropicals, it will keep the pot warm. Get a good thermostat so the temps stay where you want them. I use an infrared overhead heater. I'll try to find my links for that.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
27214-5c1534daaea1c328f1b4ce5cf8a24031.jpg
A pic of the heater, I'll see if I can find a link for you

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A better picture of the heater, I can't find the link to this particular unit, but I believe it's an infratech heater. It's infrared electric without a fan, so you have to put a fan up to blow the heat around, I put mine in the thermostat outlet with the heater so it comes on and oscillates when the heater is on. IMG_3495.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Improve your circulation as well. There shouldn't be such a large temp difference in 5'. Is the greenhouse really well insulated around the base? No air getting underneath? (It's not sitting on a deck or something?)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Or simply bring the Ficus inside, let it defoliate and re-foliate as they do up North?

Grimmy

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Way over the top.....outdoor tropical greenhouse in Boston? You a masochist or what?:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Bring the things indoors until April.....your just throwing money at a problem you don't need to fix.
Just what kind of growth have you been getting with this setup?:)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bring the things indoors until April.....your just throwing money at a problem you don't need to fix.

I agree, also the weather this year has been oddly rough in this area. I moved several Satsuki the day before last knowing a freeze for several days here from the shed which gets damn cold to the attic which I monitor and goes no lower then 32 for longer then a couple of hours. I have no intention of spending on renovation or electric use and can keep them safe from long term freezing easily.

LFreeze.JPG

Grimmy

Chickentimmy

Seedling
Reaction score
heat mat and thermostat
http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/s...Id=-1&division=GrowersSupply&productId=600926
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KEYDNKK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This would be good thermostat for the heat mat, they make a 15 amp one too, so you can get one for your heater as well. You may not be able to find the 15 amp one on Amazon, but look on ebay.
I'll go see if I can find a link to my overhead heater.

I will definitely look into these. I actually spent the day looking for a good heat mat for my giant fig that I cannot put anywhere else but the floor! Thanks so much, it really helped.

Improve your circulation as well. There shouldn't be such a large temp difference in 5'. Is the greenhouse really well insulated around the base? No air getting underneath? (It's not sitting on a deck or something?)

It's not on a deck, I would post pictures except I have no clue how. It's on solid earth, with pea stone about a foot down. However, rats do try to dig in and sometimes succeed. They never damage my trees, but it is annoying. I can't use poison because my chickens eat the rats.

Or simply bring the Ficus inside, let it defoliate and re-foliate as they do up North?

Grimmy

Not really a possibility, my entire collection is tropical for the most part, and that's over 50 trees. I also keep houseplants and bananas in there. It's crowded for a 6x8 greenhouse.

Way over the top.....outdoor tropical greenhouse in Boston? You a masochist or what?:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Just what kind of growth have you been getting with this setup?:)

Same as above; growth was fine until this cold snap. Luckily, I was able to get everything except my giant fig and some calibrachoas off the floor directly (cinder blocks). The rabbit foot fern planted in the fig pot shows some cold damage but the fig looks fine. The herbaceous stuff was high enough away from the cold, I think. It's still not ideal. Growth was slow, but you don't want fast in December. Maybe 2 new leaves every two weeks?

Chickentimmy

Seedling
Reaction score
I put in another heater last night. It brought the temp up to about 57 when it was -3 out with a windchill of -12. The floor, on the other hand, only warmed to about 37. I’m afraid that putting a fan in there will cool things down. My boss keeps pushing me towards cold hardy trees, but I just can’t get myself to love them. I guess I just like the care year round. This is my fourth year with this greenhouse and I’ve not once had this problem.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Chickentimmy , I have a small greenhouse like yours. Last winter it got down to 17 degrees and my small heater got the temp up to 50 and the heater never cycled. This year I removed everything and bubble wrapped. Huge difference. I keep it at 65 now and it cycles on and off. Only takes a few minutes to warm up now. Very very big difference.
20171010_175705 (Small).jpg

Chickentimmy

Seedling
Reaction score
@Chickentimmy , I have a small greenhouse like yours. Last winter it got down to 17 degrees and my small heater got the temp up to 50 and the heater never cycled. This year I removed everything and bubble wrapped. Huge difference. I keep it at 65 now and it cycles on and off. Only takes a few minutes to warm up now. Very very big difference.
View attachment 172503

I’m not able to move all my trees out right now because it’s too cold up here. I’ll definitely bubble wrap next summer, but this I’m worried for this winter.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Grimmy
I’m tempted to bring my tropicals inside. They’re in a regular greenhouse with no heat. Temps will hit the high 20’s this weekend. Should I bring them in ? I hear most folks leave them outside between 20-30’s.

Chickentimmy

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m tempted to bring my tropicals inside. They’re in a regular greenhouse with no heat. Temps will hit the high 20’s this weekend. Should I bring them in ? I hear most folks leave them outside between 20-30’s.

Yes. They will die.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is there enough room to cut up small section of bubble insulation and stuff it into gaps. It will be better than not having any.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflect...-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574

Just chop it into 1ft/1ft squares and jam it in anywhere you can. Maybe even outside too.

Sorry if it is redundant advise. Every bit of the insulation should help at least a little.

Top Bottom