HAWTHORN PROBLEM...HELP PLS

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My very nice Hawthorn has had this on the leaves for most of the summer. I have sprayed with different fungus sprays including Clearys 336. Doesn't seen to affect the spread of it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I know I ask for a lot of help on this site, but I really appreciate the help. The nearest club is 2 hrs away and no one even close to me practices this fun hobby. Hard to get any help at all locally.

Attachments

• IMG_5840.jpg
    IMG_5840.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5839.jpg
    IMG_5839.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 75

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When did it start?
Really odd that it would be a fungus.
Isn't where you are normally low humidity?
Has it been humid this summer?
Could this possibly be insect damage?
Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Don't worry about asking for help.
That's one of the reasons the forum is here for.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When did it start?
Really odd that it would be a fungus.
Isn't where you are normally low humidity?
Has it been humid this summer?
Could this possibly be insect damage?
Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Don't worry about asking for help.
That's one of the reasons the forum is here for.
It started in late spring. Yes we have pretty low humidity here and it has not been at all overly humid this summer. It is also in a pretty airy place, under 50% shade cloth. I will take a close look with a magnifying light and look for insects.

Thanks for the help

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Difficult to pinpoint the cause from the photos!
Is the symptom still spreading?
Could it be chemical damage?
Have you had any exceptionally hot drying weather this season?
have you kept the tree exposed to drying wind or salt spray?
What does it look like on the underside of the leaves eg has the lower leaf surface been damaged/eaten?
Any rusty spots/pustules?

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
It could be fungus or more likely the care or environment its has received, I keep mine in full sun with good airflow this will help reduce the chance of things like grey mould, leaf spot ect.

where is it being kept, what is the soil like and what are your water habits like, photos of the area the tree is in and the soil might help with the diagnosis.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The leaves look otherwise quite healthy. I wouldn’t go nuclear on it unless it seems to be progressing. Keep up with preventative fungicide treatments though as cedar hawthorn rust seems very quick to pop up if I lapse on mine.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your hawthorn looks better than most of mine. Mine have rust and with all the cedar around me it is not surprising. I spray, but not enough, so it comes and goes. My crabs are surprisingly clean. I should give up on hawthorn but I am not ready to throw in the towel.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 5 hawthorns I collected this spring and one of them has white lesions on a few leaves. I haven't a clue what it is. It has been very wet here this summer, 10.4 inches of rain in July and another 0.83 last night. I think the affected hawthorn is a different species from the others. The only treatment I have given that tree is an insecticide spray for some aphids on the new growth. If a leaf has been severely affected, I have just plucked them off. The lesions are not friable and don't rub off. We do have a lot of apples and crab apples near by and very few cedars quite a distance away. I will go check out the hawthorns in the landscape to see if they show anything similar when I get a chance. Here are what these lesions look like, they are mostly on the underside of the leaves.Haw lesion 1.jpgHaw lesion 2.jpg.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hawthorns can be persnickety, prone to various and sundry viruses, funguses etc. My go to is to use copper fungicide on a monthly basis during the growing year and 3 times in winter. Don’t spray the media, avoid washing the leaves for a couple days afterwards and keep the trees in part sun.

I think it’s important to recall the damage, once created, will not get better, but if effective the new leaves should come out looking green.
cheers
DSD sends

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hawthorns can be persnickety, prone to various and sundry viruses, funguses etc. My go to is to use copper fungicide on a monthly basis during the growing year and 3 times in winter. Don’t spray the media, avoid washing the leaves for a couple days afterwards and keep the trees in part sun.

I think it’s important to recall the damage, once created, will not get better, but if effective the new leaves should come out looking green.
cheers
DSD sends
Thank for input. What does outlined red mean pls. Shall I remove all affected leaves?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank for input. What does outlined red mean pls. Shall I remove all affected leaves?
Some folks do this. I do the worst and watch the others for spreading issues.

One important item… One pathogen spreads between junipers, cedars and hawthorns, so keep the hawthorns (and crabapples) away from these trees.

…other items that may be helpful.

Be sure to spray when buds form

As a general practice on all trees, be sure last watering of the day is done so there is time for the leaves and needles of your trees to dry before dark.

Clean up all detritus of the media of your trees and the benches.

Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lastly look for these guys

Good luck!
DSD sends

Top Bottom