Hawaiian Umbrella

Aminaislam3791

Seedling
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes a Schefflera arboricola to develop a wooded stem? I've seen some $5 young, green ones at home depot and am thinking about turning it into a long term project of a forest group. I want to know how long to expect before it starts looking like a bonsai. I'm very new to bonsai btw! I just got my first tree a week ago.

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
I can't really give you an answer about how long the lignification process takes, but as long as you keep up on pruning the longer younger stems, it won't take long for your tree to "look like a bonsai." Scheffleras are super vigorous growers and bud back really easily. Getting a schefflera to ramify, on the other hand, is not that easy. But defoliation and directional pruning will help you get your schefflera to grow how you want. Nigel Saunders on youtube has a ton of videos on his schefflera bonsai that are very helpful and informational! Since you're shooting for long term, you can let us know how long it takes for branches to lignify lol. Here's a clump style that I started earlier this year with 5 1gal scheffleras for about the same price you found them for. Good luck!
IMG_4311.JPG

Aminaislam3791

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you!! Also that is a beautiful clump style! The ones I'm looking at are definitely a lot smaller than 1gal 😂 If I go through with the idea I'll keep this thread updated

Top Bottom