Hawaiian Umbrella Froze!?

Lou P

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi All!
Hoping you can help me.
I received my 8 year old(ish) Hawaiian Umbrella today. Took it in the house as soon as UPS dropped it on the porch. For reference I am in Long Island, NY (Zones 7b / 8a). Its cold here. When I opened the box the leaves were all wilted and soggy. The weaker/younger branches are as well. There was actual ice covering the dirt / roots. I unpacked it and put it under my grow lights. Will try to put it in my (indoor) greenhouse tonight. See pics below - I would love some advice from all of the experienced people on here. I'm a bit a novice.
Thank you in advance!
Lou

IMG_3499.jpegIMG_3498.jpegIMG_3497.jpegIMG_3496.jpegIMG_3495.jpegIMG_3494.jpegIMG_3493.jpegIMG_3490.jpegIMG_3489.jpegIMG_3488.jpegIMG_3487.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think at this rate, all that you can do is get it back in favorable conditions and hope that the freezing temps didn't totally do the roots in. If the entire rootball didn't freeze in transit then there may be enough mass remaining to support life.

stewarjm192

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where did you buy this from? Im surprised a seller would ship this species with no heat packs to a northern address this time of year.....thats just bad form, and it could result in the loss of the tree at no fault of the buyer

Lou P

Seedling
Reaction score
I think at this rate, all that you can do is get it back in favorable conditions and hope that the freezing temps didn't totally do the roots in. If the entire rootball didn't freeze in transit then there may be enough mass remaining to support life.
Thank you! The soil is moist but didnt appear frozen. But there is (was) ice on top of the soil. I guess time will tell... Appreciate the response!

Lou P

Seedling
Reaction score
Where did you buy this from? Im surprised a seller would ship this species with no heat packs to a northern address this time of year.....thats just bad form, and it could result in the loss of the tree at no fault of the buyer
I'd rather not say as they are already making good. Offered to re-send a replacement when the weather warms up or send a different outdoor tree in lieu. (i opted to wait for the same tree in warmer weather).

Lou P

Seedling
Reaction score
Wilted and soggy is dead. There may be life in lower trunk and roots. Time will tell.
Thanks for your insight! Do we think its best to try to revive it as is, or trim it back a bit?
Appreacite your response!! :)

stewarjm192

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for your insight! Do we think its best to try to revive it as is, or trim it back a bit?
Appreacite your response!! :)
trim it back to green interior xylum/phloem, keep it warm and well watered, maybe even wash out the roots for some good bonsai soil, time will tell

Lou P

Seedling
Reaction score
trim it back to green interior xylum/phloem, keep it warm and well watered, maybe even wash out the roots for some good bonsai soil, time will tell
Great suggestions. I appreciate it! Will try to update you.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If it’s currently in favorable conditions, I just cut it back hard. From there, time will tell.
If roots didn’t freeze, you should get plenty of new growth.

Lou P

Seedling
Reaction score
If it’s currently in favorable conditions, I just cut it back hard. From there, time will tell.
If roots didn’t freeze, you should get plenty of new growth.
Thank you - I think thats the route I'm going to take. I've got it in warm conditions now. Under a grow light. I don't want to shock it too much (more), but will probably cut it back hard tonight/tomorrow.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It actually doesn't look too bad to me. I am going to differ from the advice here and say don't touch ANYTHING until the plant shows stem blackening and softness (the stem is dying). Right now I see green stems, a lot of defoliation, and a few leaves that I believe will remain on the plant as soon as they see some light and warmth.

Tropicals can usually take one freeze and be unhappy. They rarely can take two. I currently have a bunch of limes that I left out a little too long and they froze - but the roots did not. Even though they don't have a single leaf left, they'll bounce back now that I have brought them inside. How do I know? I've done it to them before. More than once :)

Lou P

Seedling
Reaction score
It actually doesn't look too bad to me. I am going to differ from the advice here and say don't touch ANYTHING until the plant shows stem blackening and softness (the stem is dying). Right now I see green stems, a lot of defoliation, and a few leaves that I believe will remain on the plant as soon as they see some light and warmth.

Tropicals can usually take one freeze and be unhappy. They rarely can take two. I currently have a bunch of limes that I left out a little too long and they froze - but the roots did not. Even though they don't have a single leaf left, they'll bounce back now that I have brought them inside. How do I know? I've done it to them before. More than once :)
Thank you! Giving me hope! I’m happy to keep it warm and keep a close eye on it over the coming days. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you! Giving me hope! I’m happy to keep it warm and keep a close eye on it over the coming days. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼
We had scheffleras in our landscape in California. They are tough plants. I would cut them back - hard - and defoliate them completely to maintain a tight foliage shape. In some cases it could be several months before I would see them push new growth. As long as the roots didn't freeze I wouldn't give up hope.

Top Bottom