Has anyone arranged shipping for a purchase from a nursery that doesn’t ship?

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I found a tree I’d like to purchase from a nursery in different state. The only problem is they don’t ship…

Has anyone ever arranged their own 3rd party shipping for a purchase like this?

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a contact that does direct door to door deliveries via a climate controlled sprinter. They’re handling a couple of Bnut members shipments to nationals and I just found out Mirai is having them do tree deliveries as well. I can shoot you the info if you’d like that type of delivery. It’s about $1 per mile.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a tree I’d like to purchase from a nursery in different state. The only problem is they don’t ship…

I'd imagine 3rd party shipping from a nursery that doesn't "do" shipping could be a logistical nightmare...

Size and weight are critical to getting help here. Knowing what species could also be helpful, as there might be alternatives closer to you, or available from people who do ship...

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
The climate controlled van Izzy mentioned is headed from New York to the PNW area if that is something you might be interested in. I’m not sure what budget you have in mind or where your nursery is, and I would need to ask the van if they can ‘swing by’ Colorado. Pm me if this might line up with what you are looking for !

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had one place, well early on my journey in bonsai...who ended up taking the tree to the shipping company to package and ship. They didn't handle shipping on the nursery end. But...unless they offer...which they did. That's putting a lot on them....The tree came bagged and no air flow...with fungal issues...and it died. I didn't blame the nursery...They told me up front...they don't ship. I chose to use a third party...and that was on me.

I'll say...Shout out to Jason Schley who is my current go to man...and he ships...and his pricing is fare. He's also on Facebook...that said. He has far more material than is listed on that site of his I'm sharing. I'll have something characteristic/style I'm wanting...I shoot him a ballpark price I wish to spend...and he sends me photos of said trees that fit the bill. I then choose from them. That has worked amazingly for me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had one place, well early on my journey in bonsai...who ended up taking the tree to the shipping company to package and ship. They didn't handle shipping on the nursery end. But...unless they offer...which they did. That's putting a lot on them....The tree came bagged and no air flow...with fungal issues...and it died. I didn't blame the nursery...They told me up front...they don't ship. I chose to use a third party...and that was on me.

I'll say...Shout out to Jason Schley who is my current go to man...and he ships...and his pricing is fare. He's also on Facebook...that said. He has far more material than is listed on that site of his I'm sharing. I'll have something characteristic/style I'm wanting...I shoot him a ballpark price I wish to spend...and he sends me photos of said trees that fit the bill. I then choose from them. That has worked amazingly for me.

^^^This.
To get a third party shipper, the nursery is going to have to accommodate them, which can be a huge pain and can put the nursery and/or the 3rd party shipper off of the whole thing. I have friends in the bonsai nursery biz who don't do online sales for this very reason. It's a hassle for the nursery and tends to suck up already thin margins on trees.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
^^^This.
To get a third party shipper, the nursery is going to have to accommodate them, which can be a huge pain and can put the nursery and/or the 3rd party shipper off of the whole thing. I have friends in the bonsai nursery biz who don't do online sales for this very reason. It's a hassle for the nursery and tends to suck up already thin margins on trees.
Agree wholeheartedly.

I'm speaking from experience...there are plenty of nurseries that do ship. Move on to one that does...and make it simpler on everyone. The majority of my collection has come shipped...there are options...and no sense in making it harder than it needs to be. Been down that path...from my previous post.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

What state? If it is close enough to me I might be able to help.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Whoah! This blew up! Thanks for all of the replies!

The nursery is in OK and I’m in CO. Probably won’t work for the van heading to nationals and not sure I’m up for paying the $1/mile to ship at this distance.

I also appreciate the feedback on how terrible it 3rd party shipping can be. I hadn’t thought of all of those complications.

It seems as if I must just move on from this idea. All of you are wonderful, though, and I so appreciate all of your feedback.

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There’s the same van coming back from nationals back to OR so maybe that could work?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whoah! This blew up! Thanks for all of the replies!

The nursery is in OK and I’m in CO. Probably won’t work for the van heading to nationals and not sure I’m up for paying the $1/mile to ship at this distance.

I also appreciate the feedback on how terrible it 3rd party shipping can be. I hadn’t thought of all of those complications.

It seems as if I must just move on from this idea. All of you are wonderful, though, and I so appreciate all of your feedback.
What are you trying to get shipped? Others might know where similar is available closer/with shipping...

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What are you trying to get shipped? Others might know where similar is available closer/with shipping...
It was a 3 gallon seiju. They also have 5’ field grown in a bag. I was thinking the 3 gallon might be the max I could get shipped realistically. I know Brent had some in 1 gallon that I will probably order, just thought I would try to buy a few extra years of development.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was a 3 gallon seiju. They also have 5’ field grown in a bag. I was thinking the 3 gallon might be the max I could get shipped realistically. I know Brent had some in 1 gallon that I will probably order, just thought I would try to buy a few extra years of development.

Check out Brent's specimen pages. He has larger seiju. https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/specimendec.htm

Top Bottom