has anyone had success air layering a weeping cherry blossom?

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i want to air layer about 3 branches on this bad boy later in the season

Attachments

• 1C6D777B-7A1E-4DBC-AC11-AE8979AABD0B.jpeg
    1C6D777B-7A1E-4DBC-AC11-AE8979AABD0B.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 260171EA-4837-432B-91C0-7D105C75FD3E.jpeg
    260171EA-4837-432B-91C0-7D105C75FD3E.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 25

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes, then I killed it. I want to try again this year.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Basically I tried to get greedy. I picked the best large curvy branch (@3-4") in the tree. It had about 8 feet of branch above the layer I didn't reduce. Peeled the bark, wrapped in moss and DE then a plastic container cut to fit. The branch was horizontal and roots only developed in the bottom half of the container.

Once separated I had an 8ft tree in a Tupperware bowl. I didn't chop back the top and stuck it in a pond basket. Not secured well enough a storm blew it over damaging the roots and it declined fast.

Poor aftercare on my part.

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Basically I tried to get greedy. I picked the best large curvy branch (@3-4") in the tree. It had about 8 feet of branch above the layer I didn't reduce. Peeled the bark, wrapped in moss and DE then a plastic container cut to fit. The branch was horizontal and roots only developed in the bottom half of the container.

Once separated I had an 8ft tree in a Tupperware bowl. I didn't chop back the top and stuck it in a pond basket. Not secured well enough a storm blew it over damaging the roots and it declined fast.

Poor aftercare on my part.
ahh so it really died from not being secured enough.

DE as in diatomaceous earth? i never heard it being used in air layers before how efficient is it compared to just spagnum moss? that’s what i normally use

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had used live green moss gathered and oil dry to hold water.
ahh so it really died from not being secured enough.
Yup. It even made some cherries before it croaked. It was all on me.

Top Bottom