Halfway through styling my first Shimpaku

Looks like you are trying to make a combination wind swept/cascade?

Trying is a complicated term for me in bonsai. I have no intentions when I begin my work. I read every tree differently and work as I go.

I wouldn't say that I am targeting a style at all, though I do agree with you that those two categories describe it best right now.

Trying is a complicated term for me in bonsai. I have no intentions when I begin my work. I read every tree differently and work as I go.

I wouldn't say that I am targeting a style at all, though I do agree with you that those two categories describe it best right now.
Having no intentions when you begin styling must make the task complicated indeed. Sounds like a risky approach.

Let me know what you think of the photo above!
I think this is very typical of styling work done by someone new to the hobby. Most of us started here. If you’re sensitive, quit reading here. If you really want to know what I think, read on.

It makes no sense to have a dead left side moving right, while also having live branches on the right moving left. It makes no sense to have all the foliage out at the tips, when the left side is dead. If you look at some trees in harsh conditions, that have naturally died back, almost all the growth is concentrated closer to the trunk, not farther from it. Young straight branches don’t suggest any kind of struggle, neither do jinned fine branches. They wouldn’t last long.

I don’t think this is easy material, nor very promising. However, did you dig down into the soil to find the base? That’s the best place to start any tree. But, that requires working intentionally.

Even if you don’t set out with any intentions, realize that when you show your work, you are expressing something. Bonsai should be approached intentionally, since it is a visual art. Are you trying to express that you don't care or that you’re avant-garde? Do you appreciate the work of those who have studied Bonsai with the best in the world? If so, do you think those people start work with no intentions? Do you think those people would be impressed by this effort?

If you want to work intentionally, keep studying really good trees and seek to understand how they’re different from the one in your photo: strong trunks, dynamic movement, deadwood as a story-teller, branches that suggest age and grace, foliage to frame the whole picture; clean and tidy work.

How could you incorporate some of these characteristics into this tree? How about starting with the base, then minimizing the deadwood to a statement or suggestion, twisting the trunks with wire, compacting the design with bends, cutting away the outside growth instead of the inside growth, giving the branches some movement and consistent direction, tidying up the undersides of the foliage pads. These are all very intentional steps.

I think this is very typical of styling work done by someone new to the hobby. Most of us started here. If you’re sensitive, quit reading here. If you really want to know what I think, read on.

It makes no sense to have a dead left side moving right, while also having live branches on the right moving left. It makes no sense to have all the foliage out at the tips, when the left side is dead. If you look at some trees in harsh conditions, that have naturally died back, almost all the growth is concentrated closer to the trunk, not farther from it. Young straight branches don’t suggest any kind of struggle, neither do jinned fine branches. They wouldn’t last long.

I don’t think this is easy material, nor very promising. However, did you dig down into the soil to find the base? That’s the best place to start any tree. But, that requires working intentionally.

Even if you don’t set out with any intentions, realize that when you show your work, you are expressing something. Bonsai should be approached intentionally, since it is a visual art. Are you trying to express that you don't care or that you’re avant-garde? Do you appreciate the work of those who have studied Bonsai with the best in the world? If so, do you think those people start work with no intentions? Do you think those people would be impressed by this effort?

If you want to work intentionally, keep studying really good trees and seek to understand how they’re different from the one in your photo: strong trunks, dynamic movement, deadwood as a story-teller, branches that suggest age and grace, foliage to frame the whole picture; clean and tidy work.

How could you incorporate some of these characteristics into this tree? How about starting with the base, then minimizing the deadwood to a statement or suggestion, twisting the trunks with wire, compacting the design with bends, cutting away the outside growth instead of the inside growth, giving the branches some movement and consistent direction, tidying up the undersides of the foliage pads. These are all very intentional steps.

I really appreciate the feedback! I didn't cut away any inside growth. This tree was just kind of goofy this way.

As far as the deadwood goes. Yes, I agree with you, and clearly, it's not dead yet. I like to leave myself with more up front since I am a beginner, and take back more when I feel comfortable. So the deadwood is going to be reduced quite a bit.

Although I don't approach my trees by treeing to fit them into an idea, I do take consistent intentional steps to work on them.

Like the title says this is my first Shimpaku Styling ever, I dont think it's the worst first Juniper, nor do I think it's the best. Appreciate the writeup though!

I remember when I first started, there were no accessible teachers, no INTERNET, Youtube or Face Book. You learned by doing and reading what few books on bonsai you could find. You realized that, or thought that your trees and efforts would improve with time and that they would eventually look like bonsai in a hundred years or so and you were only doing this for posterity. Understand that some or many of these books were not written with the intentions of making a competent bonsai grower of you, just someone who bought a book and might buy some supplies from them. Only recently have the masters of bonsai relented on revealing the real secrets of bonsai and the fine points of its art to us in the West. Nothing in bonsai happens by itself over time. Bonsai is the result of time technique, observation and practice directed at a goal.

Took the horse by the reins Heck yeh!
If you don't like the direction of a wired branch now, don't suddenly change your mind and reverse.
Not a good year to repot now, but I'm sure it is working up quite an appetite.

Careful to leave any signs of green life further back on branches and CUT the wires off where you see any
when it's time. Nice turn around :)

Yeah that was quality. I didn't listen ??.

On the third day God said, let there be pad formation. I think I'm going to stop touching it for now. There are still things that could move or go but im not readyyyy.

IMG_20190305_160613.jpg

Just when you thought it was safe to post on this site again: You need to seriously work on your wiring skills. Go to CRAFTSY and look up bonsai, you will find some free classes on wiring.

Back
Top Bottom