Ground Layering a deshojo

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Update: I had a go at the method @Paulpash suggested earlier on in the thread and here is what happened in the two years since for this tree.... I got one root from the trunk and a few more roots grew straight up from the tops of the bigger roots that were unusable.

The root from the trunk:
View attachment 360122

The rest of the repot:

View attachment 360123
View attachment 360124

View attachment 360125

View attachment 360126

I also tried scoring the bark and painted hormone on it, them packed it with sphagnum moss:
View attachment 360127

I've taken cuttings so hopefully I will have some root grafts ready for next repot.
View attachment 360128

Was good to have a go at the experiment to see what would happen and there you go.
Bummer they came out of the top. Grafting will be a lot more reliable. I watched a video about air layering the roots. I've tried this on one of my maples so we'll see how it goes.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bummer they came out of the top. Grafting will be a lot more reliable. I watched a video about air layering the roots. I've tried this on one of my maples so we'll see how it goes.
Yeah I saw a similar video I think on youtube from Bonsai Shinshi... I'll have to give it a try... I think smithy tried it once as well.

Top Bottom