Green Prince Cedrus Libani

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This guy will be a slow transition from the nursery pot, it's been really healthy this year though. I'm still unsure exactly what is beneath the soil nebari wise but it's got some nice bark compared to most libani I find around. Thinking I'll need to get rid of the lower left branch but I don't want to lose all my lower branches yet.

Attachments

• 20231015_165248.jpg
    20231015_165248.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 91

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This guy will be a slow transition from the nursery pot, it's been really healthy this year though. I'm still unsure exactly what is beneath the soil nebari wise but it's got some nice bark compared to most libani I find around. Thinking I'll need to get rid of the lower left branch but I don't want to lose all my lower branches yet.
Hmmm

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is some pretty cool looking bark for a cedar of Lebanon. The foliage is much smaller too than any I've seen. Could it be a brevifolia cultivar? Nice find! Definitely go delicate with the repotting. I've lost more cedars than any other tree from repotting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is some pretty cool looking bark for a cedar of Lebanon. The foliage is much smaller too than any I've seen. Could it be a brevifolia cultivar? Nice find! Definitely go delicate with the repotting. I've lost more cedars than any other tree from repotting.
It is a dwarf of Lebanon but not labeled as brevifolia at least.

Attachments

• 20231015_225740.jpg
    20231015_225740.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is a dwarf of Lebanon but not labeled as brevifolia at least.
You've got a nice one with good potential, though yeah, that left branch is a little weird :). They grow pretty slow so be sure before chopping anything off! In fact, I'd keep as much foliage on as possible to help it recover from any repotting process. Then style and cut later.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You've got a nice one with good potential, though yeah, that left branch is a little weird :). They grow pretty slow so be sure before chopping anything off! In fact, I'd keep as much foliage on as possible to help it recover from any repotting process. Then style and cut later.
Yeah it wants to point straight out basically and I couldn't find a way to move it that didn't clash with all the other movement around there. But I know these guys don't really give you alot chances to fix your mistakes if you go cutting like crazy. I know cedars are finicky with root work. At most I might try to go to a deep nicer looking training pot. I'm thinking about replacing the substrate from the bottom up over a few years just to be safe. I don't need to do any drastic chops soon so I can take my time.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi again prof. Since you seem pretty open to discussion I will mention and ask what you might do with that left branch and the two larger branchlets coming off of it that seem directly across from each other. It looks like a 3/4 circle from the view that we have here. Tell me if this is really how it is, or am I seeing something that is not really there, and then tell us how you might deal with that if what we see is true form. If this tree was mine, I would have no idea what to do with that situation. Thank you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi again prof. Since you seem pretty open to discussion I will mention and ask what you might do with that left branch and the two larger branchlets coming off of it that seem directly across from each other. It looks like a 3/4 circle from the view that we have here. Tell me if this is really how it is, or am I seeing something that is not really there, and then tell us how you might deal with that if what we see is true form. If this tree was mine, I would have no idea what to do with that situation. Thank you.
Yeah it pretty much is exactly as you see it. It does sit forward of the branches above but I'm pretty unsure what I want to do with it. I think I'm hoping it'll fill out a bit and surprise me or I'll end up cutting it.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeah it pretty much is exactly as you see it. It does sit forward of the branches above but I'm pretty unsure what I want to do with it. I think I'm hoping it'll fill out a bit and surprise me or I'll end up cutting it.
Yes, I would not have any idea what to do with that situation or which one to cut off. Maybe help is coming from the troops. :)

Top Bottom