Great Bonsai Quotes

Nice thread hehe, my friend says to me;

Stop playing with your funny trees .... :mad:

Again not an exact quote but...

It is important before bending azalea branches to massage the branch...CRACK!! - Arthur Joura
I was thinking if this one as I read through this thread! Also, because I was trying to wire some "interest" into an azalea cuttings I repotted this morning and snapped the damn thing in half. Guess I shoulda "massaged" it first!

Another comes to mind. When we first start, we have plenty of time and excitement and few trees. I forget who told me but it was a good lesson, "Let it be. You're going to love that little tree to death."

Good advice.

In my intuition I find myself
In myself I find freedom
In nature I find the rule
In the rule I find wisdom

I don't know where I got this

I also very much like the one I read on a post here that said
Wait until it dies then water it the day before that- something similar.

A man teaching a demo at Brussels demo, when a cooing woman said, "You must be very patient," replied to her: "No, I'm not patient. But I have learned to wait."

Still my favorite to date: When talking to an inquisitive older woman about bonsai care, "they must be like cows" she says. Think about it..

"Soil mixes are like arseholes - everyone's got one!"

"A great design - you can definitely imagine a 'bird flying through the branches'. Pity it's the size of a fecking Albatross"

"Fukinagashi? Seriously? You're taking the piss!". - My Dad, when asking about a windswept tree style.

"That jinn would look a whole lot better with some tonic ....."

"Grow your own Kimura Pine tree for only $2.50!" Ebay "seeds" ad, complete with a picture of a Maple

Tanuki is the bonsai equivalent of grafting tits onto a bull.

"Well, look on the bright side - Bonfire Night is tomorrow". My Dad when I told him my most expensive Pine tree had died.

"You can't 'talk the talk' if your trees look like the work of a blind crack addict." Useful indicator on any bonsai forum.

"Do the rocks grow too?"
"It's a Suiseki"
"Ah right - so it won't need much water then." - My young friend Stacey, blonde and has no garden (or clue).

Smoke, I have two quotes you might enjoy, both are specifically about shohin:

John Kirby: "Shohin are like potato chips... You can't have just one."

Diasaku Nomoto: "For shohin display, there are no rules. But..."

1. "So what are we supposed to use for soil - ground up $100 bills?" [From some old soil thread on BNut]

2. "I've killed more world class bonsai than you'll probably ever see." [Some Westerner having trained in Japan]

3. "Show me a great trunk, and I'll show you a great bonsai." [Dan Robinson]

4. " The most important thing to know about deadwood is that nothing else matters." [Dan Robinson]

5. "In some ways, the really high level Japanese trees are pretty monotonous, just the same little stuff over and over and over again. But when you get to the areas where Dan has been and where we've hiked together, and you see these wild trees on ridges where they've struggled to live for hundreds of years, and you see what they look like there, that's what you want to make your bonsai look like. And it's hard to convince people of that if all they ever do is learn their bonsai out of books, and have never walked anywhere other than on a flat plain somewhere." [Larry Jackel, quoted in Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees]

6. "You know, George, I just love this look - It's tortured, like it's on the verge of death, and yet there's this vibrance that's resurgent here. You get down under the moss, and here's the remnants of ancient wood that these trees are growing on top of. Which means that the previous ancient trees died, moss collected, a seed fell. And now five hundred years later you've got this wonderful ancient tree on top of an even older one. It's so wet here the wood never rots. Covered with moss, it's kept wet, so it's anaerobic. Without oxygen, the submerged old wood doesn't rot. So it's just this primeval, primordial forest, dominated with the demise of things, and yet there's this continual regeneration. And everything is stunted. It's just fabulous, just a great area. And the mosses and the hanging lichen and stuff just speaks of that antiquity, that look that I treasure so in my trees. I don't want any juvenile growth. I want suffering, but with the tree still making it." [My favorite Dan Robinson reverie, which I recorded on a collecting trip together with George Heffelfinger to an Alpine bog on Vancouver Island. The quote is featured in Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees]

Back
Top Bottom