grafting question

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my bonsai books states grafts must go in the same direction as the tree trunk or branch its being grafted to. So if this is so, a seedling used to graft on with the apex pointing downwards could not be grafted to a trunk with the apex pointing upwards. But last week I saw an image online where someone was attempting to do it this way. Anyone know if this does or does not work?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
J. I'm having a hard time trying to imagine why or where a seedling would be used upside down with the roots in the air. I might be misunderstanding your question. If you are asking if the scion can be grafted on a trunk "up-side-down". Then the answer is yes. I do it and it's a fairly common graft on pines.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks

J. I'm having a hard time trying to imagine why or where a seedling would be used upside down with the roots in the air. I might be misunderstanding your question. If you are asking if the scion can be grafted on a trunk "up-side-down". Then the answer is yes. I do it and it's a fairly common graft on pines.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I was wondering if the scion could be grafted upside down. I have a JBP needing a new branch and bending the seedling over so that the apex faces down would orient the new branch downward rather than upwards.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe what they're saying is that the base of the scion must be grafted in its original orientation. For example: In a cleft graft, the bottom of the scion must be inserted into the root stock. In a bark graft, the heel of the scion must maintain its original orientation with the bottom of the heel down. Which way the the branch/trunk of the scion faces makes not difference, it's the base of the scion that matters.

Top Bottom