Question on Thread Grafting

MdSkilz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi All, I did some thread grafting on my lion head maple some time last month.
I would like some questions answers from the people here that have done thread grafting and have it work out fine for them, please first hand knowledge only no hear say.
Q: How long did it take before you can sip of the donor?, the fusion time for you to know that its a green light all the way without fear off. That's it, that's my Question....
Thankx for your time.
jm_001t.jpgjm_002t.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Once the branch on the exiting side of the graft has increased in girth more so than the inward side. Shishigashira is one of the slower growing cultivars so it may take longer than a single growing season. Hope this helps.

MdSkilz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dude, thankx again for the good vibes....I saw that video, that's why I wanted to give it a try.
The base of the lion head that I've grafted into is a reg. Japanese maple, and the donors are of the same type...
ones the donor graft are at a good size, I will then graft a branch from the lion head... Just feel like that tree need some lower branches.
again thankx for your help....

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When thread grafting there are a lot of variables to consider. the size and strength of your trees are important factors. In your case you are working with thinner trunks and younger trees. You have also executed quite a number of grafts at the same time. In the pictures I do not see the usual cut past or sealant , nor wiring to hold scions firmly in place. What I am suggesting is that responses from other who live elsewhere or performed the grafting with different sequence or method may not be as useful in your particular situation. I would consider the following tips. 1. wait until the exit portion is twice the diameter of the entry portion and then begin to reduce the thickness of the entry portion to reduce the reliance on the donor side and increase the reliance on the exit branch side. Take your time it will be faster than having to redo them. Also wire early this species becomes brittle and difficult to wire quickly. Wire while green and extending. This is where having previously secured the donor graft and carefully sealing becomes important. I usually left my thread grafts for a full growing season. Occasionally for two if I was not certain. Hope the comments help.IMG_9554.JPGIMG_9555.JPGHere are two that I developed from thread grafting!IMG_1199.JPG

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dude, thankx again for the good vibes....I saw that video, that's why I wanted to give it a try.
The base of the lion head that I've grafted into is a reg. Japanese maple, and the donors are of the same type...
ones the donor graft are at a good size, I will then graft a branch from the lion head... Just feel like that tree need some lower branches.
again thankx for your help....
I know you will take this the wrong way but.. Why not graft lions head directly? This seems like adding a layer of extra complexity to the tree, with increased risk of failure..

MdSkilz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thankx River...,
All plants are place together in the same box, if I have to move them, it will be ok.
I use wax to seal it, I can see what's happening with the trees.
I did not wire it cause its a tight fit and I do not plan on moving them, the location have lots of light ....
i will let the lion head grow out , so I will have some thing to work with... at this time, there was no long whip to be use.
thankx Again.

MdSkilz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
River...., That's a nice looking taper top workmanship done and the roots also. Do you had to build the root when it was small or did it came like that?
When I'm done with the thread graft, I start my root works. I'll be opening up the trunk at the base building out more root runners, this way the trunk and roots will fan out more
....... like how the gays in the Philippines build their trees....IMO, I think their are the master of root work....

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you had to build the root when it was small or did it came like that?
Root improvement and taper came over time after chopping and as the root ball was modified and established for life in a pot. Both purchased from landscape nursery stock. So lots of time to work on top and bottom before thread grafting for branch placement.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The graft typically takes by the end of the season. Reducing the thickness of the graft at entry is important - I’ve lost grafts that swelled a lot by simply cutting off the entry point in one go. I use Velcro to hold the branch in place.

Attachments

• IMG_7541.jpeg
    IMG_7541.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 20

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to hear you liked my video, and it inspired you to try something new.

I use Velcro to hold the branch in place.
Downside for me would be that you do not have the branch connection in the angle you would wish for your branch, if you know what I mean? Or do you trim to the first bud next season and build the branch from there?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Downside for me would be that you do not have the branch connection in the angle you would wish for your branch, if you know what I mean? Or do you trim to the first bud next season and build the branch from there?
I was trying to place it in the preferred position. This will be my new leader. I find that wire eats into the grafted branch and I make a mess of the graft if I try to remove it.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
if you know what I mean?
Not sure I do. Here’s a pic of the second graft on the same tree. Drilled on a different angle and no need for the Velcro to hold the angle. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_7542.jpeg
    IMG_7542.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom