Go to builds for grow boxes.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've made plenty of boxes and benches for my trees but my builds and dimensions have always been all over the place. I'm on vacation this week (stay-cation) and I was thinking about making some more boxes. I was planning on using cedar pickets but I would like to crank more than one or two out. Anyone have any tips to streamline the process?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I make portable table benches . I have a need to move around my yard to chase the sun . As the season progresses . Simplest process I have . Go to the lumber yard . Get pre cut 6 inch wide cedar fence boards . Normally avail
5 and 6 foot lengths . And 1by 1 pickets . Lay the boards out a picket across the underside to hold them together about 20 percent from each end . 4,down legs . Short braces with 45 angles 2 fir each leg . Make a simple second layer shelf . You have a cheap easy to make light maneuverable table . I stained them at first but now I just use . A water repellent product . I started nailing a shallow can ( tuna can ) to the bottom of each leg . Add water with soap . As a stop for bugs crawling up the legs . And bonus the cans slide on the grass lawn easy . At first I liked the neat stained look . But hard to keep real nice with all the watering . The natural wood look is very neutral . Without cans the bottoms of the legs will start to rot on the grass and the top will also . But 10 year lifespan is conservative normal need a little rebuilt to go another 5

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I make portable table benches . I have a need to move around my yard to chase the sun . As the season progresses . Simplest process I have . Go to the lumber yard . Get pre cut 6 inch wide cedar fence boards . Normally avail
5 and 6 foot lengths . And 1by 1 pickets . Lay the boards out a picket across the underside to hold them together about 20 percent from each end . 4,down legs . Short braces with 45 angles 2 fir each leg . Make a simple second layer shelf . You have a cheap easy to make light maneuverable table . I stained them at first but now I just use . A water repellent product . I started nailing a shallow can ( tuna can ) to the bottom of each leg . Add water with soap . As a stop for bugs crawling up the legs . And bonus the cans slide on the grass lawn easy . At first I liked the neat stained look . But hard to keep real nice with all the watering . The natural wood look is very neutral . Without cans the bottoms of the legs will start to rot on the grass and the top will also . But 10 year lifespan is conservative normal need a little rebuilt to go another 5
Do you happen to have pictures of your mobile set up? Sounds interesting since I also need to chase the sun through the season

Reactions: Zac

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Built 21 boxes last spring. 4 sizes, yet all of the same basic plan, just sized up or down. Done in one day except one. It was a special job for a forest. Used cedar, but was 5/4 decking for durability and ease of assembly.

TOOLS USED: Table saw, chop saw, drill, impact driver, carpenters square, deck screws, large scissors to cut screening, staple gun.

Posted on this link and there are BNutter comments that might help.

Incidentally the screening used turned out not to be an issue as some predicted as we pull up the boxes and shear off the roots every 3 month.

Here’s what I did to push these through quickly.
  • Use the same exact plan for all sizes needed.
  • Have all materials on hand
  • Make all the long cuts, then side, bottom and runner cuts… screening if used.
  • Find a place to set up an assembly line.
  • Put all the box sides together. Be sure to square each of the.corners as you go.
  • Next staple in the screens
  • Add Bottom slats
  • Finally runners if used. I recommend these.
  • When boxing up trees recommend do the same assembly line model.
Have fun and love to see the finished products!

Cheers
DSD sends

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you happen to have pictures of your mobile set up? Sounds interesting since I also need to chase the sun through the season
I’ll gets sone pics of the ones that are oldest . And left outside . But it may have to wait till weekend it’s not exactly Texas here . Dark whe I leave in the am and dark when I get home plus there buried in snow

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like using hardware cloth instead of pet screen, due to the problem of roots sticking to it.

1708439167637.png
Other than that, I use pressure treated lumber and seal the ends:

1708439232590.png

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone. The advice is appreciated. I just need to prepare myself for the required patience and calm lol.

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I too have to chase the sun around as the season's change. I'm trying to come up with a build that has wheels but haven't figured out the whole build yet

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Latest batch of boxes I made I used 2" X 6" boards (nominal). I cut two 14" pieces and five 17" pieces. Two of the 14" and two of the 17" are used to make the frame and then the other three 17" pieces are used for the bottom. Makes a 14"X14"X5.5" grow box. I drill nine 1" holes on the bottom for drainage.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I too have to chase the sun around as the season's change. I'm trying to come up with a build that has wheels but haven't figured out the whole build yet
I have thought about it also . Fairly easy using 2 hardware store fixed casters . And or small wheels bolted to the bottom of 2 legs . Then you can just pick one end up and . Move it like a wheelbarrow . Unfortunately this is more difficult with my tin cans on the bottom . ( which I like ) I need to build some this year . Another feature I’m going to add . Is a side board between the uprights . Fence board . Then glue Velcro to the board . And sides of pots . I have a bunch of stuff growing in 6” square nursery plastic pots . Just stick I’m the the board

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have thought about it also . Fairly easy using 2 hardware store fixed casters . And or small wheels bolted to the bottom of 2 legs . Then you can just pick one end up and . Move it like a wheelbarrow . Unfortunately this is more difficult with my tin cans on the bottom . ( which I like ) I need to build some this year . Another feature I’m going to add . Is a side board between the uprights . Fence board . Then glue Velcro to the board . And sides of pots . I have a bunch of stuff growing in 6” square nursery plastic pots . Just stick I’m the the board
I feel casters wouldn't go smooth over grass. I was thinking more like bicycle wheels big on one end and smaller on other or just big ones and like you said use like wheelbarrow. I want mine to be sturdy enough that can move with trees on them

Top Bottom