Ginseng Ficus Progression

nickbachman

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Picked the tree up on ebay for 90 bucks BIN. Looked like it had potential. Here it as when I got it NOV 2014:

NhyILMM.jpg

Here it was this weekend:
8kXpmbb.jpg

And here it is now:
i7ou6GN.jpg

Back:
jGoptmY.jpg

I never got a good candidate for my main low branch on the right side. Last summer, I attempted my first ever graft by attaching a long donor shoot to the top edge of 2 large aerial roots that were in the right position. I thought those roots could feed a branch and quickly thicken it up. So far, that seems to be the case. I trimmed and separated the graft a few weeks ago, and it now has quite a few sprouts.

The gap, with the grafted branch in the center:
olqHJu7.jpg

HSMHQZ3.jpg

This is the tree's first shallow pot, and it's just for training. We'll see how it does this summer. I plan on letting it grow wild for the season to thicken the branches and roots. I wrapped it in moss as year to help with aerial roots. I got a few, but not much to help mask the severely lacking nebari. Hopefully this shallow pot helps with surface root growth. My apex is getting nice and bushy, my low branches are in place. It's the stuff in the middle I need to grow out now. Here's one more shot, up in to the canopy:
QWVfZ40.jpg

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! Are you going to try to add more aerial roots from the horizontal branches?

nickbachman

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! I'd love to have some aerials drop down from the branches, but I can only get them to sprout from the trunk. Maybe I'll try wrapping certain spots with moss.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Great job Nick! How's my little guy doing?

Top Bottom