Giant Hibiscus, Rose of Sharon Yamadori - Progression Thread

RODERLO

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

Last weekend I purchased this cool stump of a hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon).
The nebari is around 35 cm (or 13,5 inches) in diameter.
It was taken from an ornamental garden, where it had grown for many years.

As can be seen in the pictures, it was covered in moss, which has been removed in the cleaning process.
Large parts of the trunk were also very mushy (like pulled pork) and have been reduced to solid wood.

I'll be nursing this one back to good health before branch selection and setting the general structure for its existence as a bonsai.
It's quite late to leaf out, but to my understanding that is normal for this species. The branches on the right side are only just barely showing the tiniest green sprouts.

IMG_3228.JPGIMG_3232.JPGIMG_3234.JPG

I decided over the years to embrace my RoS infestation. So now my scruffy backyard is a forest of them. I climbed them up to make a canopy, which blooms in the sun. It creates shade below, which is cover for my hosta and ferns.

Attachments

• IMG_20230716_112410.jpg
    IMG_20230716_112410.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220512_080544.jpg
    IMG_20220512_080544.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 29
I decided over the years to embrace my RoS infestation. So now my scruffy backyard is a forest of them. I climbed them up to make a canopy, which blooms in the sun. It creates shade below, which is cover for my hosta and ferns.
Those seem very invasive where you live! Pretty cool.

Hi all,

Last weekend I purchased this cool stump of a hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon).
The nebari is around 35 cm (or 13,5 inches) in diameter.
It was taken from an ornamental garden, where it had grown for many years.

As can be seen in the pictures, it was covered in moss, which has been removed in the cleaning process.
Large parts of the trunk were also very mushy (like pulled pork) and have been reduced to solid wood.

I'll be nursing this one back to good health before branch selection and setting the general structure for its existence as a bonsai.
It's quite late to leaf out, but to my understanding that is normal for this species. The branches on the right side are only just barely showing the tiniest green sprouts.

View attachment 550262View attachment 550263View attachment 550264
Amazing score

Did you buy this at Nobilis by any chance?
I think I have seen this for sale during the Nobilis Bonsai Days last weekend.

I was there early Saturday morning for about 1.5 hours.
The discount of 20% on all bonsai related items was very nice. ;)
Indeed! Not the largest nursery, but definitely some nice trees.

I spent a little more than 1,5 hours. I can never decide which tree to choose…
Did you by chance see the large american oak sitting on the ground in the middle of the bench area?
The thing was at least 100cm tall, with great radial nebari.
600 EUR though…

They have the standard commercial stuff but besides that they have trees (raw material) you don't see very often at Lodder or Bonsaiplaza.

I have probably seen the tree but I can't remember it without seeing a picture.

I bought 4 trees last weekend:
- 2 Acer shishigashira (the smaller ones for some air layering projects)
- 1 Acer buergerianum (small starter tree)
- 1 Zelkova (nicely developed broomstyle)

They have the standard commercial stuff but besides that they have trees (raw material) you don't see very often at Lodder or Bonsaiplaza.

I have probably seen the tree but I can't remember it without seeing a picture.

I bought 4 trees last weekend:
- 2 Acer shishigashira (the smaller ones for some air layering projects)
- 1 Acer buergerianum (small starter tree)
- 1 Zelkova (nicely developed broomstyle)
Good to know, as I haven’t been to Lodder and Bplaza yet.
They’re a bit far out from where I live.

The Trophy is also great for scoring nice raw material in my opinion.
I generally don’t buy “finished” bonsai because I much more enjoy the process of creating one myself.

Sounds like a great catch btw!
I was also contemplating the larger shishigashira they offered, but all of them lacked a decent base imo.
Do you plan to track any of your new trees in a thread on here?

All the Shishigashira were grafted trees (mostly not the best grafts) and therefore I want to try to air layer them (and take cuttings from them).

Most of my trees are long term projects but I also like to have some more developed trees.
So once in a while I buy a more refined tree to treath myself.

The only tree I have shown on this forum so far is my contest tree (see signature).
I want to start showing more of my trees but I always forget to take pictures if I do something to the trees.

Those seem very invasive where you live! Pretty cool.
Yep, perfect climate I guess. RofS are like the Golden Retrievers of shrubs - there's pretty much nothing you can do that'll make them mad.

Yep, perfect climate I guess. RofS are like the Golden Retrievers of shrubs - there's pretty much nothing you can do that'll make them mad.
Can you enlighten us with your location?

Back
Top Bottom