Future design ideas for collected Taxus

Rider_

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey,

I have been lucky enough to get access to a large dense forested area and remove invasive species (mainly Yew and Hawthorn).

I collected this Yew a while ago and I have planted it in the ground for the next few years to recover and increase growth.

Although I will not be touching this tree for a while, I was trying to think of future design ideas. The trunk is very straight, with slight taper (hopefully increased with low sacrifice branches) and with a very nice natural shari. There are three thick branches at the upper region which I was initially going to keep and develop, but as these all emanate from the same point I think this would produce reverse taper. My thoughts now are to carry on the formal upright design with a new leader, maybe add or increase the Shari and develop branches along the lines of a coastal redwood design - a design that is not usual for yew bonsai. Any thoughts on design ideas?

The forest I am collecting taxus from is extremely dense, would this produce yew trees with very straight single trunks? All pre-bonsai yew trees I see have multiple trunks but that is not the case where I collect.

cheers
A2FD846D-6F4A-494C-92ED-E16E0964A48C.jpeg4DEF3558-DFC2-46A5-B46B-060DE34A8FCD.jpeg5CB0EC4D-075A-4F8C-89CD-953891F2BA1D.jpegB298D74C-5B4A-421A-B5F6-3394562609AB.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
would this produce yew trees with very straight single trunks?
Yes. Also there are several different yews. I am wondering if you are in the UK. Taxus bacatta, the English yew, grows to tree proportions ans lives centuries.

Rider_

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes. Also there are several different yews. I am wondering if you are in the UK. Taxus bacatta, the English yew, grows to tree proportions ans lives centuries.
Thanks for the reply, I’m actually in New Zealand but it is Taxus Baccata I am working with.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I missed you in May!

Welcome to Crazy!

I think the nursery trade is responsible for the multiple trunks.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the nursery trade is responsible for the multiple trunks.
This is true for the hybrid yews which most yews are in the US. Taxus bacatta is the English yew and there are many many of them that are centuries old with multi trunks. This was the choice wood for the English longbow.

Top Bottom