Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So what’s the deal there . Do you plant the seeds from your crop . I would think considering the amount of different cultivars you have . There is great opportunities . To get unique seedlings . Or do you just use the fruit for food .
If they don't get eaten up from the wildlife on my property, yes I'll be sowing the seeds in the fall. To actually see flowers from a seed grown mume can take a long time. I may put some aside to grow out, but most will be grafted. I'm contemplating fencing the mume off to make sure I can collect fruit this summer.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they don't get eaten up from the wildlife on my property, yes I'll be sowing the seeds in the fall. To actually see flowers from a seed grown mume can take a long time. I may put some aside to grow out, but most will be grafted. I'm contemplating fencing the mume off to make sure I can collect fruit this summer.
I hear the wildlife angle . I was waiting for some wild plum fruit to ripen last fall . Near work . Gone in a 3 day stretch . Fairly confident the culprits are the local wild turkey flock

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hear the wildlife angle . I was waiting for some wild plum fruit to ripen last fall . Near work . Gone in a 3 day stretch . Fairly confident the culprits are the local wild turkey flock
Something grazed on all my azaleas this winter. They ate pretty much every flower bud...so no flowers this year.

Last winter I had some white chojubai fruit that were decent size. I was planning to collect the seeds.....something took all the fruit from that tree as well.

It sucks!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something grazed on all my azaleas this winter. They ate pretty much every flower bud...so no flowers this year.

Last winter I had some white chojubai fruit that were decent size. I was planning to collect the seeds.....something took all the fruit from that tree as well.

It sucks!
There are 2 leg grazers also . I had a very frustrating action . See my thread . Canada plum propagating . Canada plum x prunus nigra . Is fairly rare to find a tree in pure form
. I located one near work . In Ottawa on federal government controlled land . Near a bicycle path in a park . At the edge of woods . Shortly after I finally received a answer to my inquiries. To ask about collecting it . ( they said no ) . Park workers cut it off at the ground trimming the bush back 🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵

Sunder

Seedling
Reaction score
After several years of looking and asking for cuttings with no luck. I found one 'Contorta'......the last one actually of decent size in a 5 gal nursery pot. I left 4 rootstock to graft this cultivar and I'm really hoping they accept the buds. The growth habit on this one is so unique. I've seen pictures online, but when you see it in person you can really appreciate them.

As for the grafts on the other rootstock. Some buds have started to join the rootstock as they are swelling and actually separated the grafting tape which is a good sign. End of August all grafting tape will be removed to inspect which buds took and which did not. Those that took will get cut back to force them to break. Those that didn't take will be retried next year.

View attachment 390029View attachment 390030
I was reading this thread and I’m really interested! I started doing bonsai 3 yrs ago and want to expand my collection into flowering trees.
I’m mostly interested in the Contorta from this post.

Are you selling these? And if so, how much? I live in WI, 53072.
If not, do you know a source that is selling them?

Thank you in advance!

jal777

Sapling
Reaction score
For those of you in the EU, Kensho Bonsai has cuttings of Prunus Mume "Pink" for 15 Euro a pop.

bluone23

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For those of you in the EU, Kensho Bonsai has cuttings of Prunus Mume "Pink" for 15 Euro a pop.

+1 kensho

Bought last year 3 cuttings from them, planted jn the ground and they grew like crazy.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was reading this thread and I’m really interested! I started doing bonsai 3 yrs ago and want to expand my collection into flowering trees.
I’m mostly interested in the Contorta from this post.

Are you selling these? And if so, how much? I live in WI, 53072.
If not, do you know a source that is selling them?

Thank you in advance!
I should have a good assortment next spring.

jal777

Sapling
Reaction score
+1 kensho

Bought last year 3 cuttings from them, planted jn the ground and they grew like crazy.

Very nice! Good to hear.

I bought three and potted them in large root maker pots and will leave them at my property here in Portugal to grow into garden trees.

Top Bottom