Flowers 2018

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Dang...sorry to hear that. Can it be contained John? @Mellow Mullet

Yes, it can, you have spray fungicide, right when the buds start to show color, unfortunately it rained after I did it. The fungicide was supposed to hold up to rain, but evidently does not.

Reactions: Vin

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Good for you IL is more like hell. Stupid, unpredictable winters, hot, humid summers, corrupt politicians, we got it all.

Well, they are different, but from that description, much alike.

Stupid unpredictable winters----We had snow, twice, this year

hot, humid summers-----In the summer, we have liquid air

corrupt politicians-----Alabama has a reputation, just read about our former governor who had to step down

We do have the beach though, and most of the time warm weather.

Gonna mix up another batch of that pixie dust, maybe I'll send you some, now, where's that gryphon.....

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some miscellaneous azaleas blooming, the satsukis are starting to throw a few randoms.

Thunderbird (at least that is what the flea market lady told me)

View attachment 183422

Chinzan (satsuki)

View attachment 183423

Kobai (satsuki), one of many variations of the flowers, this is the first one to open

View attachment 183424

I have the name of this one, but I forgot to write it down before I came in, I really like this flower

View attachment 183425

View attachment 183430

Coral BellsView attachment 183426

Wakaebisu

View attachment 183427

Elsie Lee, I like these because they look like a rose

View attachment 183428

Tsuki No Shimo

View attachment 183429
John your collection never ceases to amaze me. Absolutely stunning. If you have too many satsuki specimens or cuttings and you ever want to get rid of some we can do another trade ? although I don’t have too many flowering species besides the ones you already have and some real nice toyos.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Elsie Lee, I like these because they look like a rose
yeah that one's cool. I may have to look for that. Satsuki?

So was it a fungus that gave you the leaf blight? or was it the fungicide that caused it, not sure I understand your meaning, and want to know as much as possible about timing on these.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
yeah that one's cool. I may have to look for that. Satsuki?

So was it a fungus that gave you the leaf blight? or was it the fungicide that caused it, not sure I understand your meaning, and want to know as much as possible about timing on these.

It is a hybrid, not a Satsuki.

Petal blight, not leaf blight, it attacks the flowers, turns them to jelly quick. The fungicide did not cause it, just did not prevent in, it got washed off by a late night shower. I usually use daconil, but was out. I had used this one before with success, I just think it rained too soon after it was applied.

Petal blight may not be a problem for you, it likes cool, damp weather, typical of Mobile this time of year. I don't know what it is like for you. On colored flowers, it starts as white spots on the flower. On white flowers it starts as brown spots

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is a hybrid, not a Satsuki.

Petal blight, not leaf blight, it attacks the flowers, turns them to jelly quick. The fungicide did not cause it, just did not prevent in, it got washed off by a late night shower. I usually use daconil, but was out. I had used this one before with success, I just think it rained too soon after it was applied.

Petal blight may not be a problem for you, it likes cool, damp weather, typical of Mobile this time of year. I don't know what it is like for you. On colored flowers, it starts as white spots on the flower. On white flowers it starts as brown spots
So do you spray the actual open flowers with fungicide? Or just the blossom buds pre opening. I may not have a problem, but am starting a file, so if I encounter something I know what it is. Thanks!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
So do you spray the actual open flowers with fungicide? Or just the blossom buds pre opening. I may not have a problem, but am starting a file, so if I encounter something I know what it is. Thanks!

You spray spray just as the buds start to show color, before they open.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
My Spring was 6 months ago, but I thought I would add a few deciduous Magnolias from my boss’s garden.
I hope you all don’t mind my additions, as I love these in the Spring.
EF826312-6E40-41E7-B515-E7161FEED263.jpeg0B226D18-64DD-4213-826C-8CC2435CB867.jpeg
8F9A56B4-99D5-4765-982E-C43D022C1A3F.jpegF835E0D8-6D01-42F8-94DC-C0F959EB5AF4.jpeg

The evergreen sweet smelling trees some of you called a Magnolia, we call Michelia. Love the purfume of these also.
Thank you all for this amazing thread, some really great photos.
Charles

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Didn't know that there were azaleas that look like roses, this is the second one in this thread!
Exactly what I was thinking. Really pretty Vin.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Didn't know that there were azaleas that look like roses, this is the second one in this thread!
Amelia Rose and Elsie Lee hybridized by Dr. Eugene Aromi and his wife Jane in Mobile, Alabama. I don't know which one I have but John probably knows. Mine will never be a bonsai in my lifetime but it sure makes a pretty flower.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Amelia Rose and Elsie Lee hybridized by Dr. Eugene Aromi and his wife Jane in Mobile, Alabama. I don't know which one I have but John probably knows. Mine will never be a bonsai in my lifetime but it sure makes a pretty flower.
I have an Elsie Lee in my landscaping, but it's purple and doesn't look like a rose. But I guess the hybridized ones would be different.

Top Bottom