Flowering Quince progession

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a fun one. This is a Japanese quince I acquired back in ‘18. I believe the variety is “Toyo Nishiki”

When I first acquired it I thought I was going to wire it into a weeping style. I quickly realized that’s going to just result in a giant bush in a pot.

2018 - it was getting a bit wild in the bench.
IMG_2809.jpeg

This is the first time I styled it. Tried to make it “weeping” to mixed results.
IMG_2808.jpeg

Here are the first few times it flowered for me:
IMG_2811.jpeg

They start white then turn to a beautiful pink.
IMG_2812.jpeg

From there, the plant just would get bushy and I’d move it to the back of the garden except in springtime. Eventually I started looking at the growth habits it was already showing and I thought I might restyle it into a more windswept or slanted look.

IMG_2813.jpeg
IMG_2814.jpeg

Since then, I’ve been working this plant into the windswept/slanted look. In 2022 I did a major reduction on the rootball size and a repot. This weakened the tree overall but as of today it’s a bush again and I’m hoping to have a very nice show of flowers again next spring.

Early Spring ‘23

IMG_2185.jpeg
IMG_2186.jpeg

Full flower ‘23
IMG_2248.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2248.jpeg
    IMG_2248.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 1

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your Toyo Nishiki looks very healthy. Niclely done.

Not sure this style is my cup of tea, but it’s really good to see ideas out of one’s wheelhouse!

We wire quince infrequently, choosing clip and grow to give it the quirkiest gnarly look possible. It’s my Michael Hagedorn training - go for maximum quirkiness 😎

P,ease keep updating this thread. I’m very interested to see how this design matures.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom