Finally found Japanese maple with seeds. How to germinate?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm not sure of the exact species (maybe somebody can help with that?)
I will post pics after I get off work.

These seeds have fallen off at least one season ago (seeds and wing are gray color) so they should be ready for germination. What steps do I take to get these to start growing? Will I need to scratch the seed? Soak them for a few hours? Please help a greenhorn out

Thanks, Case

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't see any pix, but its not real important. First, maples make samaras even if the flower wasn't pollinated, so cut the one or two of the seeds in half. If they are hollow inside, there is no embryo.

If you find you've got viable seeds
  • Dip the seeds in a peroxide (2 tablespoons per quart of water) or household bleach (quarter cup per gallon) solution to kill any mold spores that may be present.
  • Then lay them out on a one side of a 1 x 2 inch piece of a plastic sandwich bag; you will fold the other side over atop the seeds.
  • Fold one half of a paper towel in half and half again. Moisten with a few drops of water.
  • Put the plastic packet of seeds inside the last fold of paper towel.
  • Repeat until you have all your seeds in similar damp packets.
  • Put the packets in sandwich bags and put the bags in your refrigerator. After 6 weeks, take the bag of packets out of the frig - they should sprout in a matter of days.
  • Pick the sprouted seeds off the plastic (tweezers are helpful) and plant them in pots of damp substrate. I like to top dress with chopped sphagnum as it helps to keep the substrate moist and in place when watering.
Nothing else is necessary. However, you could just store the seeds in a bag for now and sow them this fall in pots you leave outside - 'nature's way'.

Expect 10%-ish survival to 3 years. Congratulations if you do better - maybe start a business.:cool:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't see any pix, but its not real important. First, maples make samaras even if the flower wasn't pollinated, so cut the one or two of the seeds in half. If they are hollow inside, there is no embryo.

If you find you've got viable seeds
  • Dip the seeds in a peroxide (2 tablespoons per quart of water) or household bleach (quarter cup per gallon) solution to kill any mold spores that may be present.
  • Then lay them out on a one side of a 1 x 2 inch piece of a plastic sandwich bag; you will fold the other side over atop the seeds.
  • Fold one half of a paper towel in half and half again. Moisten with a few drops of water.
  • Put the plastic packet of seeds inside the last fold of paper towel.
  • Repeat until you have all your seeds in similar damp packets.
  • Put the packets in sandwich bags and put the bags in your refrigerator. After 6 weeks, take the bag of packets out of the frig - they should sprout in a matter of days.
  • Pick the sprouted seeds off the plastic (tweezers are helpful) and plant them in pots of damp substrate. I like to top dress with chopped sphagnum as it helps to keep the substrate moist and in place when watering.
Nothing else is necessary. However, you could just store the seeds in a bag for now and sow them this fall in pots you leave outside - 'nature's way'.

Expect 10%-ish survival to 3 years. Congratulations if you do better - maybe start a business.:cool:

I'll take some pictures after I get off work.

These seeds have seen at least one winter, so would I be able to skip the stratification process?

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Dried Japan maple wings are dead. Return to the tree you found old wings under till the next crop comes on. Collect those and cold stratify them promptly.

P.S. Cold stratification does not involve freezing seed. Put your pot with seed in, into garden soil up to the rim, Or add a little moist peat to wings and store them in a zip-lock in the fridge. Plant to field in the spring.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How can an ignorant person like myself tell if the seeds are viable?

maples make samaras even if the flower wasn't pollinated, so cut the one or two of the seeds in half. If they are hollow inside, there is no embryo.
I use pruners or scissors. If the wingy part is gone or seriously decayed, try to cut the seed under a cloth or similar so that you can easily find the shards. Else, just hold onto the wing and roughly cut the seed in half.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use pruners or scissors. If the wingy part is gone or seriously decayed, try to cut the seed under a cloth or similar so that you can easily find the shards. Else, just hold onto the wing and roughly cut the seed in half.
Grabbed a samara off my Acer griseum because it is an easy show and tell. Acer palmatum and shirasawanum (samaras borne above the leaves) seeds are smaller; you may need to use a magnifying glass.

The samara
samara.jpg

Cut a seed with pruners/scissors

samFelco.jpg

Empty inside = no embryo --> seed is not viable

emptySeed.jpg

Easy-peasy :cool:

Top Bottom