Ficus Retusa suggestions

deanpwr

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,

First post!

I got a ficus retusa mallsai two years ago for 30 beans.
20200809_173122.jpg
I'm pretty new to bonsai but I made some basic styling attempts since.
20201012_224612.jpg

Here it is today with it's big bro:
20210323_195340.jpg
20210323_195440.jpg

I'll let it flush out a bit again before touching it as it's been a little weak since it's repot a while ago, but I'm looking for some styling tips / suggestions / techniques. If I like the sound of anything I'll keep you updated on progress here.

Thanks!

Nice.

Welcome to Crazy!

I'd like to see that right branch moved up, with some aeriel/regular roots encouraged to grow down that other slot.

Capture+_2021-04-11-08-58-30.png

You can make your apical part from that branch alone, and when/if you ditch the long section, use the resulting branch from that node bend to start your first left branch.

Keep it compact to bring focus to the rock.

Sorce

Nice.

Welcome to Crazy!

I'd like to see that right branch moved up, with some aeriel/regular roots encouraged to grow down that other slot.

View attachment 367320

You can make your apical part from that branch alone, and when/if you ditch the long section, use the resulting branch from that node bend to start your first left branch.

Keep it compact to bring focus to the rock.

Sorce
Drasticccc, never thought of that!

I'm really not a fan of the current apex, all the branches are coming straight off the trunk at the very top. Your suggestion would eliminate the crossing "third" branch near the top too.

I would like to see what others have to say about this or other suggestions.

You've had it for two years. It looks healthy. What portion of the year does it spend outside? You don't list your location, but the outdoor pond shot suggests you leave it outdoors for part of the year.

Ficus grow most vigorously when grown outdoors. Up north they are "out for the summer, indoors for the winter" plants.

Ficus are like silly putty, you can twist them into a limitless number of styles. I actually like your ficus exactly as it is. I would wire the first branch and the subsequent branches to a more horizontal position. Nothing wrong with @sorce 's suggestion, its just my tastes prefers the more horizontal branching. I would wire all the branches to more horizontal positions all the way up the trunk. Repeat the pattern, make them all the same degree of horizontal the whole way up the trunk.

If aerial roots form, that is great, with Ficus some people like them, some insist they have them some dislike them and remove all the aerial roots. Its up to you. I've gone "both ways" with my Ficus.

I would not do any pruning until after it has been outside a few weeks and has begun growing vigorously. I do all my root and branch work during the warmest months of the summer. I let them coast during cool weather, or when indoors.

You've had it for two years. It looks healthy. What portion of the year does it spend outside? You don't list your location, but the outdoor pond shot suggests you leave it outdoors for part of the year.

Ficus grow most vigorously when grown outdoors. Up north they are "out for the summer, indoors for the winter" plants.

Ficus are like silly putty, you can twist them into a limitless number of styles. I actually like your ficus exactly as it is. I would wire the first branch and the subsequent branches to a more horizontal position. Nothing wrong with @sorce 's suggestion, its just my tastes prefers the more horizontal branching. I would wire all the branches to more horizontal positions all the way up the trunk. Repeat the pattern, make them all the same degree of horizontal the whole way up the trunk.

If aerial roots form, that is great, with Ficus some people like them, some insist they have them some dislike them and remove all the aerial roots. Its up to you. I've gone "both ways" with my Ficus.
It might get warm enough to have it out during the day for some months here but I would always take it in at night, too chilly out.

The styling as it is looks quite finished, it might be worth letting it ramify first before deciding to chop off half the tree.

Nice start for a plant! Couple things:

• Retusa is an old, misused name. This is a ficus microcarpa. The cultivar is probably Tiger Bark / Kinmen / Golden Gate (all different names for the same variety). Ficus Retusa are not really cultivated or used for bonsai, and I beleive they are named for their retuse leaf (which clearly microcarpa has the opposite).
  • I'd definitely remove the crossing branch in the apex. A branch above it could be wired downward to fill that spot.
  • Definitely follow Leo's advice about getting it outside when safe and not doing any work until it is warm at night, growing vigorously.
  • Lowest branch on the right is boring - too straight and no taper. I like Sorce's idea of making it more of an upright, which would give some movement. You could also just cut it short, maybe an inch or so from the trunk, and regrow branches closer in to the tree. I have a Tiger Bark - it took my 2 years to get it as healthy as I wanted it, then I cut off all the branches and re-grew them to keep the tree compact.
  • This is a matter of preference - some people like aerial roots with movement, but most aerial roots in nature fall vertically to the ground. I'd straighten the aerial root whenever you repot it next. IMG_20201212_122518 (2).jpg

I agree with a lot of these comments.
The crossing branch could go.
You could grow a new branch from the cut off point to the left on the outside of the curve. Then also grow/graft a new branch on the right side on the outside of that curve. I think you could create a really powerful apex right there. Like a big puffy cloud.

I would not do any pruning until after it has been outside a few weeks and has begun growing vigorously. I do all my root and branch work during the warmest months of the summer. I let them coast during cool weather, or when indoors.
I am loving this summer heat and sun right now. The ficus get noticeably bigger every day.

Back
Top Bottom