Falling Waters Bald Cypress Needs Help!

Jlybnz

Seedling
Reaction score
My Falling Waters Bald Cypress was planted about 3 years ago. It has no visible damage, problems or insect infestation. It seemed to be blooming a bit later than usual but it was a long cold spring and we have had quite a mixture of weather changes. We have had plenty of rain. My Cypress had began blooming about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I looked at it last week, and it had beautiful vibrant green foliage and this week, it has all turned brown. Does anyone have suggestions?

Welcome to the site! Do you have any photos? Can you share your location so people can provide location-based advice?

Hi there. Sorry, we are in NW Indiana zone 5b. I do see one branch if green. I will attach photos. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240518_074408.jpg
    20240518_074408.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20240518_074415.jpg
    20240518_074415.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20240518_074422.jpg
    20240518_074422.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20240518_074425.jpg
    20240518_074425.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 90
My Falling Waters Bald Cypress was planted about 3 years ago. It has no visible damage, problems or insect infestation. It seemed to be blooming a bit later than usual but it was a long cold spring and we have had quite a mixture of weather changes. We have had plenty of rain. My Cypress had began blooming about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I looked at it last week, and it had beautiful vibrant green foliage and this week, it has all turned brown. Does anyone have suggestions?
Location is CRUCIAL to advice provided. We can't really help without it. Please put the location (state, region, doesn't have to be specific--no address etc,) in your avatar to the left.

Could be some kind of physical damage, but no way to really tell. Looks as though you've lost one side of the tree and the trunk tilts towards the damage half. Anything run over the root mass, or did something get spilled or sprayed? Also any late frosts after the foliage was out?

Could be some kind of physical damage, but no way to really tell. Looks as though you've lost one side of the tree and the trunk tilts towards the damage half. Anything run over the root mass, or did something get spilled or sprayed? Also any late frosts after the foliage was o

Could be some kind of physical damage, but no way to really tell. Looks as though you've lost one side of the tree and the trunk tilts towards the damage half. Anything run over the root mass, or did something get spilled or sprayed? Also any late frosts after the foliage was out?
No late frosts, after foliage. No change to the tilt of the tree. We did question if someone would have poisoned it, but really trying to believe people wouldn't do that. It is strange, we have lost several trees, in a similar way. All a couple years or more after planting and always after they bloomed normally, in the spring, and have been thriving. I appreciate your input.

Who planted the tree? perhaps if several trees have been lost similarly, the planting methodology is incorrect.

Photos of trunk flare/base of trunk please?

Hot, dry winds can desiccate new foliage on bald cypress in a single afternoon, but usually the damage is not so consistent and tends to be on the outer foliage. Fwiw, a healthy tree will bounce back from this easily/quickly, but other causes of acute browning foliage may not have as good a prognosis.

Who planted the tree? perhaps if several trees have been lost similarly, the planting methodology is incorrect.

Photos of trunk flare/base of trunk please?

Attachments

• 20240518_103038.jpg
    20240518_103038.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20240518_103041.jpg
    20240518_103041.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 80
Not all trees planted have been lost. Had all our trees planted by the same landscaper.

Hmm. This is just a guess, but looking at those base pics, lots of buds but that newer growth has collapsed. That reminds me of when I've root pruned too late in the season. Lack of water would look different IMO. Almost like the roots have collapsed on that side of tree.

Disclosure, I know nothing about fungal/virus issues, would could absolutely be the culprit.

Several trees dying the same way points to a common thread, right? Poor planting technique OR something nasty in the soil.

I questioned the same, except so perplexed that all trees thrived for 2-3 years before suddenly going bad...

I questioned the same, except so perplexed that all trees thrived for 2-3 years before suddenly going bad...
I may have soil testing done. I really appreciate all the replies.

I highly doubt it's the soil. That new growth died suddenly from the look of it, also the rooting off the base is pretty strong. Trunk is also rebudding. With bad soil, growth wouldn't be strong at all. It would be yellowing out/not emerging at all. Branches would likely be gradually dying off, etc.

I also doubt this is some fungal issue. BC are pretty resistant to fungal attack, particularly if they're in-ground.

Have all the trees that have been affected like this been in the same location or have they been planted elsewhere on the property?

This looks like winter killed branching (despite it being spring--zone 5A is pretty far north for BC). Zone 5 is the lowest zone BC are rated for. I'd bet it's temperature related. In any case, the tree looks to be recovering.

I highly doubt it's the soil. That new growth died suddenly from the look of it, also the rooting off the base is pretty strong. Trunk is also rebudding. With bad soil, growth wouldn't be strong at all. It would be yellowing out/not emerging at all. Branches would likely be gradually dying off, etc.

I also doubt this is some fungal issue. BC are pretty resistant to fungal attack, particularly if they're in-ground.

Have all the trees that have been affected like this been in the same location or have they been planted elsewhere on the property?

This looks like winter killed branching (despite it being spring--zone 5A is pretty far north for BC). Zone 5 is the lowest zone BC are rated for. I'd bet it's temperature related. In any case, the tree looks to be recovering.
Hi there... not recovering because literally, the entire tree had all brand new green budding foliage, yesterday we noticed 3/4 of the tree brown. There was no gradual change such as yellow branches. 2 weeks ago, this tree was normal. Not all the trees were in same location exactly but all in the back of the property.

Hi there... not recovering because literally, the entire tree had all brand new green budding foliage, yesterday we noticed 3/4 of the tree brown. There was no gradual change such as yellow branches. 2 weeks ago, this tree was normal. Not all the trees were in same location exactly but all in the back of the property.
I can't help but think someone poisoned my tree. It's just too weird, and it happened so quickly.

I can't help but think someone poisoned my tree. It's just too weird, and it happened so quickly.
Ooookay, well you'd know better than us if someone wanted to murder your tree, or do you harm. We can't really help with that. What I observed was in line with what happens with a BC temperature shock that I've observed in my own BC.

Unless the new emerging foliage that's in the photo is brown, yeah, the tree is recovering...It's hard to pin down exactly what is browned out now.

I know, I can't imagine it, yet I am just so perplexed. The new emerging foliage which is green is how the entire tree looked il until this week. Now 75% of the new emerging foliage has turned brown. An arborist told me it may have been voles underground that have wreaked havoc on it. Thank you all again, so much for your thoughts!

I know, I can't imagine it, yet I am just so perplexed. The new emerging foliage which is green is how the entire tree looked il until this week. Now 75% of the new emerging foliage has turned brown. An arborist told me it may have been voles underground that have wreaked havoc on it. Thank you all again so much for your thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom