extensive root system, Hinoki Cypress?

jjwpls

Seed
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum--nice to meet everyone:) I live in Eastern Massachusetts, USDA Zone 6.

An arborist planted a Hinoki Cypress in 2019 in the front foundation of my house and it has grown very well. Because I'd like to plant some tulips, I dig out some soil and then saw an extensive root system, many of which seems to be growing from the cracks of the wall of the front foundation, which is kind of unbelievable.... so here are my questions.

(1) Could the root of Hinoki Cypress be so extensive and strong---it penetrated into the crack of the concrete and grow out? Or would these roots belong to some other trees?

On the one hand, these roots appear to be from Hinoki Cypress; there are no other trees or bushes in the front foundation and the next closest are yew and boxwood, which are 7 feet away and on the other side of the concrete stair. On the other hand, the size of the roots appears to be very extensive and thick compared with the Hinoki Cypress; the thickest root in the picture is 1" in diameter while the widest part of the Hinoki Cypress's stem is less than 2". The "tree" is about 4 feet tall.

(2) If these roots are from the Hinoki Cypress, then I'd like to move it somewhere else because the front foundation may be too small for it. Before moving it, some of the roots may need to be pruned; would the tree still survive after pruning?

Thanks so much for your help!

jjw

IMG_0954.jpgIMG_0955.jpgIMG_0962.jpgIMG_0958.jpgIMG_0964.jpgIMG_0965.jpgIMG_0959.jpg

I would be surprised if a cypress would throw a horizontal root that big (from such a small tree) in just a few years. But anything is possible, I guess. To me it looks like a long running root from another tree. Are there any other trees in the area?

I agree with the above comment and suspect the yew on the other side of the steps.

Roots can run a long way, especially when looking for water or nutrients. Sometimes it can be surprising how far they travel so may need to look even further afield for the culprit. That root could come from a tree many yards away.
I also doubt that root will eb from the little hinoki.

Hinoki can be transplanted. Most trees will cope with a loss of up to half the roots and many species will survive transplant with way less than that.

1692707663459.jpeg1692707694765.jpeg
These dwarf hinokis like you have, have finer roots similar to juniper.
You have some of its roots exposed in the next to last picture in the foreground.
If you still want to move the tree, best to do so just before Spring and close
attention to after care. Mulching will help retain moisture.

Back
Top Bottom