Excellent treaty on bonsai history and its discovery and establishment in the west

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is the most authoritative and extensive source I've ever come across about the history of Bonsai, its discovery and establishment in the west. It is particularly interesting to note that back in the 1800's westerner's descriptions of bonsai in China and Japan already describe the use of 'modern' bonsai substrates, air layering, wires and 'other mechanical means' to bend branches even in China (which most often only associate with clip and grow techniques). By the way, they also appreciated deadwood on deciduous trees and created it using ants! - Really worth reading it.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The Great Bonsai Treaty of 2019: a landmark promise by the defeated forces of The Past to never again use non-modern potting media, from now until the end of time. ;)

In all seriousness, a very interesting read - perfect for a lazy Sunday morning. Thanks for sharing!

Lollybonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This looks like another source for an upcoming history project!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm….

Good read… if I recall Thomas S. Elias was the Director of the United States National Arboretum not too long ago…?

cheers
DSD sends

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That does seem to be the case. Seems like a very interesting person from what I read when investigating the source

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm….

Good read… if I recall Thomas S. Elias was the Director of the United States National Arboretum not too long ago…?

cheers
DSD sends
Thomas Elias was the Director of the National Arb. from 1993 - 2009, as well as an an honorary Director of the National Bonsai Foundation and was Chairman of the Viewing Stone Association of North America. He was instrumental in developing the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum, overseeing its big renovation and expansion in the early 2000's, as well as many other bonsai related things

Top Bottom