Elm, Unknown variety.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe you guys/gals know what type of Elm this is?

This Elm was growing through a driveway, the pavers at the edge and through the tile culvert by the road. To repair the mess I had to cut it out, it lifted the blacktop, the pavers, and had seperated the tiles growing through them. I cut it off inches below the ground thinking, hey thats an elm wonder if I could use it as bonsai? I cut the top off, took the base sticking it in a bucket of water. It was only 7 ft tall but had a 15 ft root spread that went down 5 feet through the culvert. The next day I took it home after finishing up, dusted it with rooting powder and stuck it in a 3 gal bucket in 4 inches of soil mix I got from a pot I lost another plant in.

I forgot about it for a few months setting under my RV, sprayed it with water when I'd remember it. Then I seen it growing! I left it go another month, I was getting ready to come home so I potted it, pot is 8 inches wide by 12 inches long inside dimensions. It had a mass of fine roots in an 8 inch circle! It just fit with a few inches at either side for growth.

The front for now.

Elmfront by edprocoat, on Flickr

Right side.

Elmright by edprocoat, on Flickr

Back side.

3elmback by edprocoat, on Flickr

Left side.

4elmleft by edprocoat, on Flickr

I am really kind of leaning towards the left side as the eventual front. I know from past postings here that most of you dont like root up styles or gnarly looking roots, but man I love them and this is a beauty to me, if you have any ideas or adviice I would appreciate them.

Another thing, some of the mature leaves seem to turn brown at the edges and curl up, I dont think its insects, maybe a fungus or the heat ? I will post a pic tommorrow of the leaves to give you guys an idea, it does not affect new growth. So far its growing like a weed, or like most Elms I have messed with :)

ed

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess this has everyone as stumped as I am. :) A guy up the street from me said he thinks it may be a Birch of some kind? I still think its an elm due to the shape of the leaves though. I looked up Birch leaves and they do look similiar, but they seem to be more rounded. So I guess I will have to call it my "Mystery Tree"

ed

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
It's definitely an elm. It looks like Chinese elm to me with those small leaves and smooth bark.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ross, it looks like an Elm to me too! I had a chinese elm years ago and the leaves were smaller than this tree's leaves. These are about half an inch long, excluding the stem. The leaves are shaped exactly like larger versions of my Catlin Elms. The bark is actually rough, the part you are looking at that is smooth and reddish brown was underground. Thanks for the reply, this was the lonliest thread on the forum, lol.

ed

Last edited:

moyogijohn

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
z 6
elm unknown variety

I like your tree a lot ! my opion you should change fronts to the side you said..looks like the top of the tree is leaning to the back can,t really tell..if so maybe another chop middle of the tree can fix that.. i see a small branch that could be a new smaller apex that is center of the trunk.. only a opion though... nice trunk to work with.. john

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what kind of elm it is. However, I also like the left side as the front.

Rob

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is known as a "Drake" elm. An American cultivar of Ulmus Chinenses. Used across the USA for roads and parking strips. Extremely drought tolerant and extremely prolific. I have seen these sprout on the ledge of a parked car in the windshield wipers.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is known as a "Drake" elm. An American cultivar of Ulmus Chinensus. Used across the USA for roads and parking strips. Extremely drought tolerant and extremely prolific. I have seen these sprout on the ledge of a parked car in the windshield wipers.

Great, maybe I will be able to keep it alive then :).

ed

Top Bottom