Elm diseased - help please

Getting into a battle over who advice is "fortunate" and "unfortunate" doesn't really help Dave.

Not a battle, but we'll have to agree to disagree on advising to repot out of season with a minimum of information. I'm convinced repotting doesn't really help Dave's tree.

As you probably know, the road of bonsai is littered with dead trees killed by too much intervention from well-intended veterans, followed by operations conducted by eager-to-work newbies. The combination can be a recipe for disaster.

There are also trees that benefit from action...Doing nothing perpetuates a bad situation.

Alright guys, well thanks again.

For now I will continue with getting it outside - sunny weather with warmish breezes have caked and really dried out the top yesterday although when I aerated I did see the bottom traces of soil on the chop stick were still damp.

I will likely water in the sink tonight as per Brian's spray method after a fuller day of sun.

My wife and I leave for 4 days from next Wednesday so plan on this new regimen till then and will take a decision on repotting when I get back. It is still pushing out lots of green spindly new shoots...mostly old foliage packing it in.

All for now and thanks so much. Will pick up a couple or 3 books as well.....really happy for specific recommendations on those gentlemen...

Best,

Dave

Well, I wanted to give an update on how my elm is doing.

About 10 days ago I started acclimitating it to outdoors and aerated the soil with a chopstick down to the bottom every square inch. It's been in a partially shaded exposure underneath a Japanese Maple in our garden for this time and over the last 5 days its been spending night and day there. We've had a bit of rain and coolish weather lately so I've not watered for about 8 days and the soil still feels damp up top. It's also not been fertilized in about 12 days.

This morning I pruned off quite a large amount of dead withered foliage. I subjectively feel it is doing better...previously when it was inside I was seeing quite a bit of new shoots sprouting....long tendril like shoots which gave an impression of vigour but while this was going on most of the medium maturity foliage seemed to wither and die. This morning during my pruning session I saw lots of shoots which appear to have turned brown and become constricted at their distal tips, narrowing down from the tip towards the main branch and eventually turning black and dead. I've tried to show some of that with the third picture below, but most of the dead or dying foliage has been trimmed off now, so you need to look closely to see what I'm talking about.

One other thing I noted as I did my pruning was there definitely are a number of spider webs and filaments in the tree, with one pretty impressive cluster on the apical set of branches. Too hard to take photos, but definitely there. I also saw a spider climbing onto a leaf and had a good look at him after I took him off. Very tiny....probably about 1 mm long with a head segment and a bum segment visible. Kind of tough to call the colour but I'd say light brown...perhaps a suggestion of rust or redness mixed in. His bum segment was around 3 times larger than his head segment. That's really all I can say about the spider and I am not sure if a spider infestation is an important factor in my tree right now or not.

Attaching these photos and happy for more advice. I've tried to give a couple of closeups of the soil as there has been discussion about whether I should repot or not.

My questions are:

1. Do people think I should repot?
2. Do people think I should treat for spider and if so which kind of spider and with what?
3. How often should I be fertilizing over the coming 3 months?
4. Should I continue in the "dappled sunlight" location under my maple tree or should I move the tree into a location to give it more light. Most light I can get in our garden would be about 4 hours of direct sunlight a day.

Hope the photos help and thanks for comments on above everyone,

Dave

Attachments

• _DSC1136.jpg
    _DSC1136.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC1137.jpg
    _DSC1137.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC1138.jpg
    _DSC1138.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 20