Eisai-en bonsai nursery final sale

Hope his business model includes shipping trees from japan to usa.
He has said he won't be. Customs requirements for plants is a nightmare. I believe it involves bare rooting and a 6 month quarantine period. I doubt he'd want to risk that with anything that's high enough quality to make it into his new 1/8 acre garden.

Bjorn is relocating to Kyoto, Japan and selling off a lot of trees. A little out of my price range but I thought I would share.

As much as I'd love to have a Bjorn tree in the collection... I don't see anything I really like under a few thousand, which is a bit out of my price range.

He has said he won't be. Customs requirements for plants is a nightmare. I believe it involves bare rooting and a 6 month quarantine period. I doubt he'd want to risk that with anything that's high enough quality to make it into his new 1/8 acre garden.

I've brought plants into the US... bare rooted and accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate.

The customs guys just waive them on through... I don't think they want the hassle of actually dealing with it.

That was a temporary thing. Now it's long term, even permanent. I'm sure his parents are getting older as well and may not be as able to take care of trees. It would be a pretty big ask for them to take care of his trees indefinitely.
Bjorns dad has been doing bonsai just as long as Bjorn has, they founded the Knoxville club together. His dad has some really cool trees especially the green laceleaf maple, which is one of the best laceleaf bonsai I have ever seen. When Bjorn was in Japan for his apprenticeship his father kept his trees at his house in Knoxville. His dad is pretty built for an older dude.

he may not but Shannon Salyer, a good friend of Bjorns I heard will be importing trees into the US

Bjorns dad has been doing bonsai just as long as Bjorn has, they founded the Knoxville club together. His dad has some really cool trees especially the green laceleaf maple, which is one of the best laceleaf bonsai I have ever seen. When Bjorn was in Japan for his apprenticeship his father kept his trees at his house in Knoxville. His dad is pretty built for an older dude.
That's great and I know he kept Bjorn's trees while he was away for 6 years. However I can see why Bjorn would not want to ask his dad to take care of a tree or trees indefinitely.

I don't understand why people just dont seem to want to get that. Bjorn may never come back to the U.S. for those trees.

Eventually we all will get to the point where we will not be able to care for our or any one elses trees no matter how healthy we are.

They probably worked on a lot of trees together. I am sure if his dad had wanted that tree, Bjorn wouldn't have sold it and would have given it to his dad.

That's great and I know he kept Bjorn's trees while he was away for 6 years. However I can see why Bjorn would not want to ask his dad to take care of a tree or trees indefinitely.

I don't understand why people just dont seem to want to get that. Bjorn may never come back to the U.S. for those trees.

Eventually we all will get to the point where we will not be able to care for our or any one elses trees no matter how healthy we are.

They probably worked on a lot of trees together. I am sure if his dad had wanted that tree, Bjorn wouldn't have sold it and would have given it to his dad.
Exactly. I'd be surprised if he didn't give his dad first right of refusal on at least the trees that have sentimental value to them.

There are a few I would like but I would have to take two days off to pick them up and get them home. My son has a great friend in Nashville so I might be able to turn this into a bonding experience with him and a great opportunity to talk with Bjorn and pick up a few nice trees...

he may not but Shannon Salyer, a good friend of Bjorns I heard will be importing trees into the US
Interesting. I remember Bjorn’s video at his place - I sought him out and bought an azalea at the National show. Seems like a good dude and I’ll make sure to keep an eye out.

Hope his business model includes shipping trees from japan to usa.
Below is the answer... I talked to a Spanish bonsai artist to see the feasibility of sending a tree from JP here, and it was not really worth it.
I've brought plants into the US... bare rooted and accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate.

The customs guys just waive them on through... I don't think they want the hassle of actually dealing with it.
I guess you were lucky, even wit the phyto certification if there was an USDA inspector nearby you would be either paying for it to be sent to quarantine or dropping it into the burn pile. I did some work with Customs at the airports and they (USDA) don't play with that crap. In every US port outside of the US they have USDA inspection points. Any tree or fruit that contains seeds are confiscated and dumped.

Heck, South Korea does the same thing, I was dying for some mangoes when I was stationed there and a friend that went to the Philippines Islands tried to bring me some, PI let the mangoes go through, but they were confiscated at the Seoul port because they still had the seeds in.

Importing bonsai is a huge hassle and can be very expensive with losses of trees. It's a two-year quarantine period in a USDA-approved facility--that facility can be in Japan or in the U.S. Before entering the U.S. soil has to be completely removed and roots fumigated and must have a phytosanitary certificate.

I've imported and exported orchids to and from USA, and @rockm is spot on, it is a flagging nightmare. I averaged about a 40% success rate. This means 60% of the times, plants were seized and destroyed. When I last tried each individual plant had to have 7 documents, 5 from USDA, USFWS, USDC, and two from exporting country. Had one importation seized 18 months after I received it because after the fact USDA decided the exporting country's documents were not filed correctly. They came to my door asking for the plants back.

Exporting was slightly more successful. Usually with a similar set of documents. Brought plants to USDA Ag station at Chicago-ORD airport, for $200 got Phytosanitary certificates. Then sent plants on. Once sent a species native to Nepal, rolled up in a rug, back to Nepal. The Nepalese national carrying the "rug packed with orchids" was a minor Nepal government official. The species was near extinct in Nepal, and I basically stocked breeding stock into a Nepalese nursery of their native species so they could propagate it for Nepalese customers.

Anyway, it has been more than 20 years since I have tried to move plants across international borders. To do it legally is a nightmare of documents. even when a goof faith effort is made to do it correctly , chances are very high the plant will be seized and destroyed. Sending a one of a kind tree is foolish. Even if you try to get the paperwork correct, success is at best only slightly better than 50%.

And now a days to do it illegally or without full documentation is potentially quite expensive in fines and possible jail sentences. Not worth the effort. One orchid smuggler I know of, got a 18 month jail sentence for smuggling, though he was pretty flagrant and boastful about doing so. He was Diabetic, ended up dying in prison. He was a very right wing political loud mouth nut, probably would not have done any jail time if he had not mouthed off in court and in endless flaming articles prior to his court case. In truth it is, or was very rare for plant smugglers to actually do time, if he had not written so many articles flaming the judge and prosecutor, and the USFWS, they would not have made an example out of him, he would have just gotten off with a fine. It was just orchids, not drugs.

I've imported and exported orchids to and from USA, and @rockm is spot on, it is a flagging nightmare. I averaged about a 40% success rate. This means 60% of the times, plants were seized and destroyed. When I last tried each individual plant had to have 7 documents, 5 from USDA, USFWS, USDC, and two from exporting country. Had one importation seized 18 months after I received it because after the fact USDA decided the exporting country's documents were not filed correctly. They came to my door asking for the plants back.

Exporting was slightly more successful. Usually with a similar set of documents. Brought plants to USDA Ag station at Chicago-ORD airport, for $200 got Phytosanitary certificates. Then sent plants on. Once sent a species native to Nepal, rolled up in a rug, back to Nepal. The Nepalese national carrying the "rug packed with orchids" was a minor Nepal government official. The species was near extinct in Nepal, and I basically stocked breeding stock into a Nepalese nursery of their native species so they could propagate it for Nepalese customers.

Anyway, it has been more than 20 years since I have tried to move plants across international borders. To do it legally is a nightmare of documents. even when a goof faith effort is made to do it correctly , chances are very high the plant will be seized and destroyed. Sending a one of a kind tree is foolish. Even if you try to get the paperwork correct, success is at best only slightly better than 50%.

And now a days to do it illegally or without full documentation is potentially quite expensive in fines and possible jail sentences. Not worth the effort. One orchid smuggler I know of, got a 18 month jail sentence for smuggling, though he was pretty flagrant and boastful about doing so. He was Diabetic, ended up dying in prison. He was a very right wing political loud mouth nut, probably would not have done any jail time if he had not mouthed off in court and in endless flaming articles prior to his court case. In truth it is, or was very rare for plant smugglers to actually do time, if he had not written so many articles flaming the judge and prosecutor, and the USFWS, they would not have made an example out of him, he would have just gotten off with a fine. It was just orchids, not drugs.
wow seems like its easier to smuggle drugs and people into this country than it is plants....

Interesting. I remember Bjorn’s video at his place - I sought him out and bought an azalea at the National show. Seems like a good dude and I’ll make sure to keep an eye out.
talked with Shannon about this more in detail in Knoxville this past weekend, he said he has considered doing it but I don't think he is going to prioritize it anytime in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom