Ebenopsis ebano // Texas Ebony

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is a tree that I've had in my collection for about 2 years that has been totally ignored, periodically trimmed and watered is all. It's an old tree, probably peg it near 30yrs. Came to me from my teacher, and was given to him by an old friend who could not take care of her bonsai after the hurricanes here in in 2005. He also did nothing to it but keep it alive.

I didn't realize how awful this before photo was until I had finished working today. And it turns out, I have never taken a picture of the tree before today. Sorry. My phone's camera has 2 lenses and takes in a ton of light, usually its a blessing. In this case, it took in a bunch of light and glare.

Today I repotted, changed the angle and trimmed the extraneous growth. Next few days I'm going to scrub it gently with water + vinegar to rid the algae build up and weeds from the trunk. As new growth comes out I'll be working the structure to fit the new design.

Attachments

• IMAG3090.jpg
    IMAG3090.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG3086.jpg
    IMAG3086.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG3095.jpg
    IMAG3095.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMAG3097.jpg
    IMAG3097.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG3098.jpg
    IMAG3098.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 108
I don't know much about these southern trees, but I dig that dark trunk! It should be a nice one to develop.

I don't know much about these southern trees, but I dig that dark trunk! It should be a nice one to develop.

Ebenopsis is very drought tolerant, ranges from central Mexico through the southwest US. The seeds produced in the pods are edible, but I have yet to try one. Not a very fast grower, but quick enough. The bark is craggy and the compound leaf is small with a miniscule thorn at each node. They hurt. It will flower in the summer time. Flowers are produced on a bloom spike, with many small white puff-like flowers with a sweet fragrance similar to Eugenia or Jasmine.

Ebenopsis is very drought tolerant, ranges from central Mexico through the southwest US. The seeds produced in the pods are edible, but I have yet to try one. Not a very fast grower, but quick enough. The bark is craggy and the compound leaf is small with a miniscule thorn at each node. They hurt. It will flower in the summer time. Flowers are produced on a bloom spike, with many small white puff-like flowers with a sweet fragrance similar to Eugenia or Jasmine.
Sounds like a pretty cool tree! I am slowly trying to collect more tropical trees, to have trees to work and enjoy over our long winters!

That's a really lovely Texas ebony!

I used to have two small ones, but they were overlooked by my waterer while I was on vacation a year or two back, and one didn't make it. The other barely held on, and I've been trying to get it growing again ever since. It's probably not worth the effort as it is probably 10 years minimum from being an even halfway decent bonsai, but I'm a masochist like that, lol.

Laura

That's a really lovely Texas ebony!

I used to have two small ones, but they were overlooked by my waterer while I was on vacation a year or two back, and one didn't make it. The other barely held on, and I've been trying to get it growing again ever since. It's probably not worth the effort as it is probably 10 years minimum from being an even halfway decent bonsai, but I'm a masochist like that, lol.

Laura

That is odd. I have one sitting on my back porch that was sent to me three weeks ago, and it hasn't been watered or unwrapped. The rootball is just wrapped with cling wrap and the foliage is green as can be.

That is odd. I have one sitting on my back porch that was sent to me three weeks ago, and it hasn't been watered or unwrapped. The rootball is just wrapped with cling wrap and the foliage is green as can be.

These were left unwatered for a couple weeks in winter, in a well-draining mix, in a room with lots of sun and no humidity. :(

WOW... Beautiful! Have a whole bunch around the house that are in bloom. Allergies are killing me!
Has yours bloomed? Would love to see pics of that!

@KennedyMarx
No, I leave the thorns. I read that some plants store hormones in the thorns, I'm not sure if that holds true across species though. I also like having them as a garden conversation. Anything that makes a species unique or unusual should be valued imo.

@AaronThomas
They seem to flower in our Summer months here in Florida, when it's hot and dry. No flowers this time of year.

Cool tree.
In the third picture,how did you get the pot to balance on 1 foot?

Back
Top Bottom