Dwarf Crepe Myrtle

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found a stash of these dwarf myrtles - I think they're way cool!

Two of the three pain trunks are the same height, which I don't like. I'd like to move that main fatty branch on the left down a good bit. Thinking about making a wedge cut on the underside and pulling it down...

Anyone have any luck with this? I'd assume myrtle could handle it? Is it too late in the year?

THANKS! IMG_0554.JPG

That's a crape myrtle, right? If so, you've got a decent base, but it's topped with three straight, overly long trunks. With foliage mostly at their tops. Late winter, early spring, when it shows signs of beginning to bud, you need to chop them all back, hard. Pick a leader, which should be no longer that two thirds of the height of the base. The remaining two should be shorter, but of differing heights. You will get an explosion of back-budding. In Charleston, expect at least six months of enthusiastic growth. You can wire the new branches into place, but not when they are in the initial, fleshy stage of growth. On the other hand, once the branches are actually wood, they are impossible to move. So wait until they start to lignify, (turn brown), then you can apply wire and carefully begin to bend. Crape myrtles are attractive trees and are fun to work with, since they will develop quickly. Enjoy.

That's a nice start. I bought four Razzle dwarfs in spring. Hard prune yours in spring. You'll have plenty of new growth to work with.

I think they're way cool too. Prune it hard in late winter/early spring and you'll get all kinds of back budding and new choices. If it was mine , I would also reduce the height of the rootball significantly and plant it in something shallower and wider while also getting the base slightly deeper in the pot.

Good tree.

Back
Top Bottom