Dry-stall or Napa Oil Dry?

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm just wondering which is best to use as the bulk of bonsai potting mix. These seem to be all I can get locally and it gets expensive to order potting mix online.
Dry-stall is pumice (or at least pumice-like, it just says lightweight volcanic aggregate), napa oil dry is diatomaceous earth.
Cost doesn't really matter as both are inexpensive, although I'd prefer one with less dust/fines to sift out.
I'm mostly wondering which is better for the plaints, which lasts longer before breaking down - also which has a larger particle size.

If you get the pumice product, I would just mix the 2 50/50
I use them mixed 1:1 , I also add Red lava rock and do 1:1:1 and my plants seem to like it.
I am also trying DE and Akadama mixed, and then adding that mixture to pumice and lava rock (1/2 part DE and 1/2 part Akadama mixed with 1 part pumice and 1 part lava rock) trying to stretch the use of my Akadama if possible. It may be a cost effective way to use Akadama for those that have to pay shipping.

I've used dry stall quite a bit. It is good stuff. After sifting you will probably be able to use ~80% of the bag. It is also fairly light and does not break down. For my pines in development I use a mix of 80% dry stall and ~20% fir bark.

Also it can be reused. It just needs to be re-sifted.

Back
Top Bottom