(( Double Trunk Maple ))

Les

Mame
Reaction score
I'm starting a thread on this Double Trunk Maple I purchased last year from Marc Torppa. Here are a couple of pictures of the tree at Marc house.
Acer palmatum double trunk-purechase fron Marc Torppa 2016.jpg
60.jpg

Time to put the tree in it's first pot. I cut the roots back pretty hard and removed a lot of down ward roots. After removing the old soil I was presently surprised to see that the nebari looked pretty good. I will still probably do a couple of root grafts next year.
2017,1strepot1.jpg
Now that the tree is potted up I will let it recover for a year and start thinking about the styling of this maple.
1st repot 2017.jpg

Fluke

Seed
Reaction score
nice looking tree looking forward to a update

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice material Les! I may be inclined to shorten the second smaller trunk to introduce taper and increase size difference between the two. Looks like its budding all along the trunks, but I would let it go this year and leave some long whips for thread grafts next year should you need them.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice double. Looking forward to updates. Was this shipped to you from the Growing grounds?

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Nice material Les! I may be inclined to shorten the second smaller trunk to introduce taper and increase size difference between the two. Looks like its budding all along the trunks, but I would let it go this year and leave some long whips for thread grafts next year should you need them.
Thank you, how far do you think I should shorten it?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Les, I rethought a bit my earlier comment. I indicated where I might cut back on the second trunk, but also indicated a cut back on the larger trunk as well. I think the trunks are too long with little to no taper half way up. So although it may appear drastic, I think both need to be cut back quite a bit and then grow the next sections. This will also give you an opportunity to introduce nice movement into the trunk lines. I would look for a planting angle that hopefully shows a bit more movement on the now straight-ish main trunk.

You could cut back now with no problems, but... may be best to let it grow this year to get those long whips ready for next year in anticipation of doing some thread grafts. This also will give you a chance to think it all through. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 4.31.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 4.31.52 PM.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 149

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Les, I rethought a bit my earlier comment. I indicated where I might cut back on the second trunk, but also indicated a cut back on the larger trunk as well. I think the trunks are too long with little to no taper half way up. So although it may appear drastic, I think both need to be cut back quite a bit and then grow the next sections. This will also give you an opportunity to introduce nice movement into the trunk lines. I would look for a planting angle that hopefully shows a bit more movement on the now straight-ish main trunk.

You could cut back now with no problems, but... may be best to let it grow this year to get those long whips ready for next year in anticipation of doing some thread grafts. This also will give you a chance to think it all through. :)
Sounds like a good plan! I'll let it grow freely for a year and cut it back next year. Thanks Serg. :)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please, think long and hard before you just go and stump it. Looking at the virt, the main trunk is still bolt straight and that ain't changing! Unless you cut back again.

The second trunk has interesting movement and character.....granted, not much taper on either trunk.

I'd be growing this sucker with an eye towards a three foot tall or more tree.....

You stump it, it could be a nice little tree, but kind of routine and not much visual impact. Now, if you have @MACH5 skills, it's not a big deal.....if not.......

Don't wanna say, "cookie cutter" but why not try something different?

Les

Mame
Reaction score
he has a very nice place. its really cool to walk around back and see rows and rows of trees.
Please, think long and hard before you just go and stump it. Looking at the virt, the main trunk is still bolt straight and that ain't changing! Unless you cut back again.

The second trunk has interesting movement and character.....granted, not much taper on either trunk.

I'd be growing this sucker with an eye towards a three foot tall or more tree.....

You stump it, it could be a nice little tree, but kind of routine and not much visual impact. Now, if you have @MACH5 skills, it's not a big deal.....if not.......

Don't wanna say, "cookie cutter" but why not try something different?
Yea, I'm in no rush I'll take this year to think about the best design for the tree. I do like the movement of the lower branch :).

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here on the ranch, we are not adverse to the odd "monster"......:):D:D:D

Attachments

• DSC00272.JPG
    DSC00272.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC00287 (1).JPG
    DSC00287 (1).JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 129

Les

Mame
Reaction score
This maple is growing very well, I kind of wish I would have made the branch cuts this year but I guess patients is a virtue. :)

IMG_0019.JPG

Top Bottom