Double trunk chop

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have been scouting trees to wild harvest this February and probably my favorite so far happens to have a double trunk, it's a deciduous, a yaupon holly and I'm curios, if you dig a deciduous tree and trunk chop it before transportation and potting is there any big problems with a double trunks. Is one of them going to die? Or is it a good possibility they both would be OK.

If enough feeder roots around entire base are retained, it should be fine.

No reason why a twin trunk will react different from any other tree. Chop both at collection, pot up, provide care and cross fingers until shoots appear.
At some stage the thinner trunk should be shorter. There may be natural good spots to chop otherwise just chop and wait for shoots to grow strong then do the final chops.
Best if the initial chops are lower rather than too high. The new leaders will need to grow to the final height so allow plenty of space for that.

There is no reason why one of them would die. I would expect IF any dying happens, it happens equally on both sides if care is taken to keep roots all around.

Back
Top Bottom