Do I need a shade cloth for my maples and willows

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello I live in a apartment with a balcony and I currently have a greenhouse out on the balcony for wintering my bonsai's but it also provides some protection to my maples and willows for the summer. Does anyone know what I could do. Management thinks it is an eye sore and it has been out for the past two years, anyways they want me to take it down. Do you think I need a shade cloth and if so do you know of any shadecloths that look pleasing to the eye. What do you think?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What times of day does it get direct sunlight? What kinds of maples?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Morning sun is good. Direct afternoon sun would be a bit too much.....30% shade cloth could help.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks and it is an east facing balcony. So I get morning sun and do not get much in the afternoon.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What times of day does it get direct sunlight? What kinds of maples?
Maples Japanese, and some other cultivars like blood good, nurasagi, lace maples. Morning sun and the balcony is covered.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How those willows doing? I had them growing in full sun they can take more than you think. 😉

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How those willows doing? I had them growing in full sun they can take more than you think. 😉
They are doing great and the american elm seedlings are growing like weeds. LOL. When should I repot the american elms into their own pots?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s great to hear! You can pull those whenever, they repot well. They are weeds around here 🤣 I think next year I’m going to sit out empty pots and let the elms seed them and give them out here. Something fun and it will give everyone that wants them all the elms they could ever need.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Morning sun is good. Direct afternoon sun would be a bit too much.....30% shade cloth could help.
Down here in 9A. Direct afternoon sun will kill my maples. Willows can withstand anything. I can hardly kill it. As a matter of fact, I'm not doing any willow bonsai because we are trying so hard to kill it.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Down here in 9A. Direct afternoon sun will kill my maples. Willows can withstand anything. I can hardly kill it. As a matter of fact, I'm not doing any willow bonsai because we are trying so hard to kill it.
The only reason you'd possibly want partial shade for a willow is if you can't keep up with the watering requirements. They'll suck water most vigorously in full sun, so having afternoon shade can save you on a lot of watering.

Top Bottom