Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi all,

I made some keiki paste with the following composition:
1% Benzylaminopurine
0.2% IBA
Some beeswax and antioxidants.

And I'm doing some case studies on its effects. In orchids and other plants, the paste is used to wake up dormant buds and make them form more branches or tiny suckers.
They're case studies because I am using no control subjects and just apply the paste to whatever I think needs more buds.

First in line is my ginkgo. As you can see it has no buds here. Rubbed a whole bunch of paste on it. Now we wait.

1000018617.jpg

Some other plants I will try it on are horse chestnut and scots pines.

Before replying in this thread, keep in mind that this is experimental and that it can take a season to see any results. So if you're not seeing anything new, it's because I too am not seeing anything new.

I believe in honest reporting, so any adverse effects will also be mentioned.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting
Will be watching and waiting to see if anything happens

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oooh on a ginkgo. that could be a great tool. Thank you for posting this and please let us know what happens

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love these kinds of experiments. I am curious about the inclusion of IBA in your paste. Normally IBA is a bud suppressant - it is the ABSENCE of IBA that stimulates bud development.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love these kinds of experiments. I am curious about the inclusion of IBA in your paste. Normally IBA is a bud suppressant - it is the ABSENCE of IBA that stimulates bud development.
In the literature I've studied on shoot formation, BAP never works alone. Because it can induce callus, tissue differentiation, but it stops there if there is nothing else signaling further instructions. Causing growth to stunt and dwarf, and potentially causing a huge cluster of buds to form that have no clear instructions on how to act after that formation.
Without an "elongating" hormone in the mix, it's less likely for those buds to come to fruition. By adding it in a five fold lower amount, I hope to find that sweet spot.

I picked IBA because I had it lying around and my NAA is coupled with sodium ions to form a salt, and I kind of want to avoid sodium in my plants. IAA is out of the picture because it's even less stable than IBA.

Top Bottom