DIY shade cloth structure?

pootroock

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey yall! I'm trying to upgrade my bench set up with a shade cloth structure that I can break down and reassemble when necessary. The sun is so harsh where I live and I don't have a good enough supply of dappled shade in my yard, so instead of relocating my bench periodically I'd like it to stay put! Have any of you ever designed something similar to this idea? I'm not entirely inexperienced with basic woodworking principles and tools, however I have zero structural design experience so that's the part that's giving me pause. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Russ1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Simple way is to just put 4 poles in the ground made of EMT or PVC tubing the put some Rivets in the 4 corners of a shade screen and connect to the poles with heavy cord.
The PVC will need to be bigger than EMT cause it flexes more.
You need tubing large enough so it will resist bending and if you put some short, maybe 12-18 inch, pieces of tubing in the ground you can put the poles inside them so they are removable.
The short tubing needs to be large enough to put the poles into but not so large that they will move around too much

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Draw two wash drying lines in between four poles, get a couple meters of mosquito mesh, fold the ends over the lines, staple them with a regular stapler or sow them with wire. Now you have sliding shade cloth that you can take off by just removing the lines from their poles.
It doesn't take any woodworking, if you want not even any sewing skills, and it'll cost you about 50 dollars (of which 40 will be for the poles) and about 3 hours of work.

pootroock

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Draw two wash drying lines in between four poles, get a couple meters of mosquito mesh, fold the ends over the lines, staple them with a regular stapler or sow them with wire. Now you have sliding shade cloth that you can take off by just removing the lines from their poles.
It doesn't take any woodworking, if you want not even any sewing skills, and it'll cost you about 50 dollars (of which 40 will be for the poles) and about 3 hours of work.
Simple way is to just put 4 poles in the ground made of EMT or PVC tubing the put some Rivets in the 4 corners of a shade screen and connect to the poles with heavy cord.
The PVC will need to be bigger than EMT cause it flexes more.
You need tubing large enough so it will resist bending and if you put some short, maybe 12-18 inch, pieces of tubing in the ground you can put the poles inside them so they are removable.
The short tubing needs to be large enough to put the poles into but not so large that they will move around too much
Thanks so much y’all! Really thankful for your suggestions, this will be way easier than making a structure out of wood!

Top Bottom