Diagnose on Deshojo and Arakawa

sxvi

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, now that the winter is slowly coming to an end I took my maples who had been in an unheated garage throughout the winter and had a look at them. After inspecting them, my Deshojo and my Arakawa seem to have some damage. The Deshojo (first 6 pictures) has a few red healthy looking buds at the small stem leaning left on the first pic. Rest of the buds look black. The arakawa (last 5 pictures) has a brown section on the stem and a few black dots. The buds are looking very healthy and no branch looks dead. Does anyone know what both or one of the trees have?

Attachments

• IMG_6076.jpeg
    IMG_6076.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6077.jpeg
    IMG_6077.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6078.jpeg
    IMG_6078.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6079.jpeg
    IMG_6079.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6081.jpeg
    IMG_6081.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6080.jpeg
    IMG_6080.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6145.jpeg
    IMG_6145.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6146.jpeg
    IMG_6146.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6147.jpeg
    IMG_6147.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6148.jpeg
    IMG_6148.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6153.jpeg
    IMG_6153.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 65

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Both look like they were infected when pruning. This can be caused by poor pruning practices, which appears to be the case. or pruning when it was wet outside, as happens with fall prunes of maples in the PacNW that aren’t sealed properly after cut back.

The Deshojo appears to have been pruned flush with the branch collar at the apex… and in at least one other spot. It’s best to leave at least 1” or more stub left above any collar, or one trunk diameter, whichever is more, when cutting back. The stub will die back slowly giving the branch collar time to compartmentalize and seal off the area before infection can set in.

Fungus enters the wound and travels down the trunk through the trunk’s transport system.

Image 5 of the arakawa shows a poor torn cut that got infected. Witness the black area traveling down the trunk. Sometimes the infection goes just so far and stops. Otherwise it can spread like in the Deshojo.

For this tree one might prune the top off in between the internodes below the infection as this is a long straight less interesting stretch that wouldn’t be in the final design anyways. Hopefully this will wall off the fungus

Be sure to clean all tools and spray with alcohol. Make the cut, then spray with alcohol. Let dry, then apply an antifungal cut paste or cut putty.

btw: please enter your approximate location and USDA cold hardiness zone. This do this double tap your icon atop the page, then account details. Scroll down and enter these data. These data will appear on your icon and allow respondents to give you the best location based advice in future BN postings

Best
DSD sends

Top Bottom