Developing a large Willow Leaf Ficus

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Following your techniques, I did serious pruning, reduction, and repotting of my forest in late May. It looks better than ever before. Right now the foliage has become very dense. Would it be good to do another thinning now, or should I wait until the weather cools off some in September? Right now our daily high temperatures are near 100 with dewpoint around 70. Night time lows are near 80.

You’ll likely get a mass of shoots at the cut site. I would thin to two and remove all of the rest. Do it while it’s hot and growing. I wouldn’t wait until fall.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
100 degrees and 80% humidity. Ficus love it. I’m about to surrender.

B09A2A46-229A-4AA2-96E2-C0F7D9312B7E.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thinned the new growth and partially defoliated the tree. I reduced the apex about 4”. Then I repotted. Apex needs to come down further I think.
A87BECBB-7988-4C8B-ADAA-ECEA65C48334.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Pop quiz! Here’s an interesting item I use as a soil scoop - anyone know what it’s original use was? If you know right away, don’t give the answer away too quickly! (Hint - it was not originally designed to be a soil scoop)

187A558C-4379-490D-BC84-3EA3B1A0A72A.jpeg

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Pop quiz! Here’s an interesting item I use as a soil scoop - anyone know what it’s original use was? If you know right away, don’t give the answer away too quickly! (Hint - it was not originally designed to be a soil scoop)

View attachment 315607
Oh hell yes, I've seen them all my life. I know...but I don't remember, at this moment. :confused:

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No clue on the scoop....

Question - what is your repotting schedule with this one? Every year? When it's in full ramification mode do you think you will stretch it out to several years between repots? Great thread. :)

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My guess on the scoop: a tool used to pick up mixed mortar in roughly equal amounts when building a mortared masonry wall. And thanks for the photos, they are a reminder for me to thin my ficus.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No clue on the scoop....

Question - what is your repotting schedule with this one? Every year? When it's in full ramification mode do you think you will stretch it out to several years between repots? Great thread. :)

Thanks for the question. The tree was repotted two years ago. As you can see from the before picture, it was badly in need of one - the soil had mounded up significantly from the root growth. When you see that, it generally means the tree is sending out some pretty thick roots - needs to be taken care of when it happens.

Not sure about the future as the tree continues to develop. I try to avoid repotting by the calendar. For me, it’s better to repot when the tree needs it.

- S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Oh hell yes, I've seen them all my life. I know...but I don't remember, at this moment. :confused:
My guess on the scoop: a tool used to pick up mixed mortar in roughly equal amounts when building a mortared masonry wall. And thanks for the photos, they are a reminder for me to thin my ficus.

Here’s a hint - it was made to hold something hot.

S

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the question. The tree was repotted two years ago. As you can see from the before picture, it was badly in need of one - the soil had mounded up significantly from the root growth. When you see that, it generally means the tree is sending out some pretty thick roots - needs to be taken care of when it happens.

Not sure about the future as the tree continues to develop. I try to avoid repotting by the calendar. For me, it’s better to repot when the tree needs it.

- S

I repotted a couple of my fillows (ficus willows (trying something new)) a few weeks ago. I have had them stall for a while after repotting, I think because I trimmed the top at the same time as a dressing the roots. This time I made sure I had a full head of hair and signs of new growth going into the repot.
Now I am waiting; they look healthy, but no new growth yet. Any thoughts on my plan? The weather has been Houston like this summer in the mid Atlantic. Wait until new leaves and then cut back hard while it is still sweaty out?
Photos from right after the repot.

Attachments

• 5B9F84FE-E2BC-4B20-B1DA-6840869B0CC1.jpeg
    5B9F84FE-E2BC-4B20-B1DA-6840869B0CC1.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 87
  • C173E7FE-E683-4ED1-83CA-21CCFFCDB3E1.jpeg
    C173E7FE-E683-4ED1-83CA-21CCFFCDB3E1.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 89

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I repotted a couple of my fillows (ficus willows (trying something new)) a few weeks ago. I have had them stall for a while after repotting, I think because I trimmed the top at the same time as a dressing the roots. This time I made sure I had a full head of hair and signs of new growth going into the repot.
Now I am waiting; they look healthy, but no new growth yet. Any thoughts on my plan? The weather has been Houston like this summer in the mid Atlantic. Wait until new leaves and then cut back hard while it is still sweaty out?
Photos from right after the repot.

Be extremely careful with watering given the soil you use. That looks pretty fine grained and will likely stay wet for a long time. These trees grow better when they don’t have wet feet. Once you start getting rot, it can be very difficult to stop.

The first looks pretty compact, but it‘s difficult to see the branch structure. The second looks like it needs work on primary branch structure. On the second, I’d let it grow out. I’m not sure you’ll get much extension with the soil you’re using, but perhaps I’m wrong. You want long extensions, not just a new leaf or two. Once the branches have extended significantly, I’d cut it back hard. Cut back every branch to a point close to the trunk. You want to interrupt the long straight lines that currently have no branching or movement.

On the first, I’m not sure. Do you have a picture with fewer leaves?

S

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Be extremely careful with watering given the soil you use. That looks pretty fine grained and will likely stay wet for a long time. These trees grow better when they don’t have wet feet. Once you start getting rot, it can be very difficult to stop.

The first looks pretty compact, but it‘s difficult to see the branch structure. The second looks like it needs work on primary branch structure. On the second, I’d let it grow out. I’m not sure you’ll get much extension with the soil you’re using, but perhaps I’m wrong. You want long extensions, not just a new leaf or two. Once the branches have extended significantly, I’d cut it back hard. Cut back every branch to a point close to the trunk. You want to interrupt the long straight lines that currently have no branching or movement.

On the first, I’m not sure. Do you have a picture with fewer leaves?

S

Here is a photo of the first plant, from March, where you can see the structure. The soil is pretty free flowing.. I have a top dressing of sifted small sized stone from the banks of Lake Erie. I’m really pleased how it seems to be sticking around through the waterings since repotting. I guess the Stone is dense enough for it to stay put well.
Hopefully it won’t cause any rot; although, worth mentioning, I grow these hydroponically during the winter. That’s why I have the mop strands coming from the drainage holes. I didn’t put any spaghnum in the soil when repotting like I usually do... I hope that doesn’t mess with my wicking action.

Attachments

• E0797F4D-FCF8-4F4A-9D8A-D17EFB185C4E.jpeg
    E0797F4D-FCF8-4F4A-9D8A-D17EFB185C4E.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 79

Rjoyce

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just repotted a willow leaf that is growing strong. I did a major root reduction and the top could use a major cut-back as well. Is it safe for me to do that now, or should I wait for it to recover first?

Top Bottom