Desmodium - Blue Bell

While am at it... this thing germinate in less than a week.. more like 5 days. I have never seen something germinate this quickly.
20230625_104815.jpg

I separated the air layers this morning. One was meant to be a raft so I set it on its way. The other will reveal itself in time. The mother plant is set for a cascade and maybe a windswept or willow where all branches will drop down. Doable since the branch is very flexible.
20230826_081705.jpg20230826_081759.jpg20230826_084708.jpg20230826_084905.jpg

You can squeeze in just one more.
Unfortunately, I really can't. I have to sell some of my tropicals at the local club's silent auction this year to make room for the rest. I didn't do a very good job of factoring in the fact that the trees would *grow* bigger over time and the relative ease of striking cuttings from tropical trees when I made purchasing decisions.

I separated the air layers this morning. One was meant to be a raft so I set it on its way. The other will reveal itself in time. The mother plant is set for a cascade and maybe a windswept or willow where all branches will drop down. Doable since the branch is very flexible.
View attachment 505144
Ok...How do you get a Guava to take the graft to your Desmodium bro lol.

I purchased 3 Desmodiums at the BSF Convention in Orlando 5 years ago on the recommendation of a good friend of mine who lives in Deland- zone 9b, I live in southern Palm Beach County-zone 10. So far no problems at all except for slight yellowing of some leaves. I have switched to a time released 360 day 18-5-8 fertilizer and a suppliment fertilizer called MicroMax. The MicroMax is rather expensive, $110 for 50 lbs. Between the two new fertilizers the new leaves are dark green and it seems like they are producing more volume of flowers. Desmodium air layers easily in about a month, also roots easily from cuttings under mist, 8 seconds every 10 minutes. I over potted them into 15 gallon squat pots using Pro Mix with mycrrohazae, also rather expensive- the old saying is that you don't put a $5 plant in a 5 cent hole! The only drawback is that I like to walk barefoot thru the garden and nursery, Desmodium has thorns that put Brazilian Rain Trees to shame, some get 4" long when in full growth mode. One that got dropped on the ground and forgot to pickup went thru the bottom of my Sperry Topsiders Boat shoes! I haven't tried it yet but I am told that they grow readily from root cuttings. The flowers don't last long but they come out in mass with more purple than green leaves. They also grow readily from their seed.
BTW the MicroMax has also cured the yellowing on my Wrightii religiosa vietnanensis! I tried Ironite, drill press shavings, watered with steel wool rusty water to no avail.

@vp999 Time to remove the leave if you want flower for Tet.

B
Can you help translate about how to manage the watering with this process?
Basically you stress the tree by let the it dry out for 3 to 5 days (depends on pot size) this process will cause some of the leave to turn yellow and fall off. The remaing ones will be stripped. Once all the leave are off, you will put the tree back where it was... no need to put it in shade if it was in a sunny spot before this operation. Resume your water accordingly... meanings you will water less than when the tree is in full leave. This YTuber mention the water should dry up by end of the day and not staying wet for days. I say staying wet for a day or two shouldn't be an issue. The flower should start in about 15 days.

B

Basically you stress the tree by let the it dry out for 3 to 5 days (depends on pot size) this process will cause some of the leave to turn yellow and fall off. The remaing ones will be stripped. Once all the leave are off, you will put the tree back where it was... no need to put it in shade if it was in a sunny spot before this operation. Resume your water accordingly... meanings you will water less than when the tree is in full leave. This YTuber mention the water should dry up by end of the day and not staying wet for days. I say staying wet for a day or two shouldn't be an issue. The flower should start in about 15 days.
I need to come and get one from you.

Back
Top Bottom