Decent greenhouse kits?

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Does anyone have any experience with any of the greenhouse “kit” builds available? I’m seeing a pretty broad array of kits from 1k-10k for 12x8-or-so size, and wondering if anyone here uses one?

I’m interested in extending the season, overwintering, and also seed starting for veggies etc.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might first check with local builders. We have quite a few Amish and Mennonites here in VA, and I suspect you do too. At least two local Amish builders make greenhouses which will outlast and kit.

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You might first check with local builders. We have quite a few Amish and Mennonites here in VA, and I suspect you do too. At least two local Amish builders make greenhouses which will outlast and kit.
Oh I’m sure it’d be much better. Within budget? I wish!

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have a palram 6x8. I’ve had it for about eight years. It’s held up well, no complaints about the build quality for the low price. The temperature swings are difficult to manage. It gets very hot in the daytime if the sun is out and normally gets within a few degrees of the nightly low temperatures. You can extend your growing season but you have to stay on top of the temp swings. Automatic vents and automatic watering are a must for me. Tropicals love the humidity in summer.

Seed starting and overwintering have been a struggle because of the temp swings.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Seed starting and overwintering have been a struggle because of the temp swings.
Have you tried adding lots of thermal mass? Containers of water absorb heat in the day and slowly release it when temps drop, which can help keep night time temps up a bit and may even reduce over-heating on sunny days.
Rock, pavers or concrete are other good heat banks you may be able to source.

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I ended up building a greenhouse after evaluating the kits. There’s been a bit to learn but with removable side panels its helped with the mid summer heat.

The thermal heat sink is a good route, I added a large basin under one of my benches, need to get another before winter.

All that to to say - it won’t resolve all your overwintering worries, just introduce different ones. I would recommend it, it’s my

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Have you tried adding lots of thermal mass? Containers of water absorb heat in the day and slowly release it when temps drop, which can help keep night time temps up a bit and may even reduce over-heating on sunny days.
Rock, pavers or concrete are other good heat banks you may be able to source.
The floor of my greenhouse I did add pavers, and it does stay warmer on the floor, so when the temps are close to freezing overnight it’s usually enough to just put plants on the ground. I ‘tried’ buckets of water once but it was a pretty half-hearted attempt. I only had a few buckets on hand so that’s what I used. Not enough to make a difference.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I built a Climapod https://climapod.com/ from their kit a few years ago and have been very pleased. The kits are aluminum framed and imported from China. They have a number of size options. I chose a 9x14 since during my research I learned the biggest regret most folks have is that they didn't build a larger one. You will need to determine if the unit will be suitable for your weather conditions or go broke heating it in the winter.

Certainly the cost will impact your budget for obtaining more tree material.
I justified my purchase to my bride by offering her half the space for her flowers.
I'm not ashamed to tell you all why I did that: Half a greenhouse is much much better than no greenhouse at all!!

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I justified my purchase to my bride by offering her half the space for her flowers.
Recently, I asked my girlfriend if we should someday get a greenhouse. She practically teared up and said "I never thought you'd ask!" I knew nothing about plants before we started dating, and now between us we have about 40 house plants that have taken over our home. There's no way I'd want to have a greenhouse without providing space for her plants.

Never be ashamed of doing things that make your wife happy.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The floor of my greenhouse I did add pavers, and it does stay warmer on the floor, so when the temps are close to freezing overnight it’s usually enough to just put plants on the ground. I ‘tried’ buckets of water once but it was a pretty half-hearted attempt. I only had a few buckets on hand so that’s what I used. Not enough to make a difference.

I used 50 gallon barrels full of water as shelf supports. Works wonders

wharf_rat78

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All helpful replies - thank you! Here in North Carolina, all of my trees last year and the year before survived the winter in an unsightly clump in a corner of the yard with mulch / leaves up to their trunks. Gets down to low teens once or twice usually.

That said, I’m wondering how with virtually any enclosure, and a small greenhouse heater, I would have a problem with keeping things warm enough in my climate. I suppose a swing to high temps during the day in the middle of winter with the sun would screw things up.

Let me know if I am missing something! And thanks again for the insight.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There's probably a sweet spot for any given space but i work on the more the better. I collect 20 litre plastic carboys for water. They stack neatly under the benches and with screw caps no mosquito problem like open buckets of water.
I used 50 gallon barrels full of water as shelf supports. Works wonders
Another great water stored heat sink. Each 50 gal barrel equates to 10 of my 20 litre containers. A few of those would absorb a lot of daytime heat and keep the inside warm at night.

Also be aware that cooling rate is related to surface area. Smaller green hoses have larger surface to volume ratio and cool rapidly. The larger the space the more stable it will be.

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been researching climapod greenhouses and like the 9'x12' .I can get power, but I would have to use 50 gal. drums and a small pump to get water for use in the greenhouse and maybe some supplemental heat sinks during winter.
Anyone tried a setup like this ?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Second year with this 10x12 harbor freight kit. So far, I love it!

I use sealed water barrels for heat sinks in winter. Greenhouse floor is cement pavers and compacted gray trap rock between.

Plants overwintered great on the ground -under benches with wood chips between plants. IMG_7270.jpegIMG_7272.jpegIMG_7267.jpegI did have to rake heavy snow off the roof as it starts to sag the roof. This however made a nice insulation layer at the 2 side walls where the plants are.

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The harbor freight greenhouse is on my short list to look at.
Im glad I don't have to worry about that much snow. We got about 2" of snow last year. Lasted about 2 days. I like the sealed barrel idea.

Top Bottom