cytokinin powder test

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi there, some weeks ago I grab a bag of cytokinin powder, I have two pines that I can use as a test plant but needs some starting point.
Someone want help me ?
That's the product
51XrqeyHdgL._AC_.jpg51YL9h8YmOL._AC_.jpg
With a kind of google translate :

IMG_1367.pngIMG_1368.png

The package say 1.5 to 2.5gr per 1 Lt of water, the website say 1:1000 water diluted, sprayed on plants Fruit, flower, potted, etc.
But how often ? For how long ? Dosage ?
Let's do some tests :) I can take a diary, maybe is functioning for backbudding.....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Interesting! Possible snake oil or the start of Little Shop of Horrors.

As I understand it cytokines are plant hormones signalling/controlling every process a plant does, will this equate to 30% more growth or do plants have all they need naturally?

I'd be interested to see the results, i'm sceptical, but must admit the science goes way over my head.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have some cytokine paste that is normally used for orchids and houseplants to promote backbudding at the nodes. I’ve been curious to know if it might do the same for my pines, so I’m following this thread to see of it has been done by anybody.
Maybe it just isn’t a thing, though, for coniferous trees …

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have no idea what the frequency should be, but I sort of default to once per two weeks for most products applied as a solution when watering.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would try foliar, so also the buds are wet

When watering, I wet the whole plant, so that includes a foliar application. I didn't really think about treating just the roots as an option. That said, I guess you could use a sprayer to wet just one branch and see if it's any different than the other branches on the same tree. However, I would do that with separate trees in a separate test.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is this the same mode of action as the fulvic/humic + kelp has?

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
That said, I guess you could use a sprayer to wet just one branch and see if it's any different than the other branches on the same tree. However, I would do that with separate trees in a separate test.
I don't know, the mechanism is not only for contact but also because they go in circle. Probably the best choice is wet the all plant and see the results

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know, the mechanism is not only for contact but also because they go in circle. Probably the best choice is wet the all plant and see the results
This seems like a way to just see if there is ANY effect at all.
I suggest 1 plant treat the whole thing, 1 plant just the foliage, and 1 just the roots. Do it for a full season, then repot in spring so you can see the full results.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
I suggest 1 plant treat the whole thing, 1 plant just the foliage, and 1 just the roots. Do it for a full season, then repot in spring so you can see the full results.
I have only two plants that I can test, a black pine and a mugo. Both recovered from the green garbage ( i made two thread about that).
When is the period of creating the news buds for the pines ? sadly I didn't make any candle pinch because the plants was too weak.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have only two plants that I can test, a black pine and a mugo. Both recovered from the green garbage ( i made two thread about that).
When is the period of creating the news buds for the pines ? sadly I didn't make any candle pinch because the plants was too weak.

Unless you're using plants of the same species, it'll be impossible to tell whether the product is having any effect. You should look for some cheap potted landscape pines from a garden center or something. In the alternative, look for some seedlings to pull up along the roadside or something, where they're growing together and appear to have come from the same parent plant. This isn't a rigorous science experiment, but you should try to get as close as reasonably possible.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not worry about dilution so much, this is natural supplement. You can make your own plant hormones with soy flour, soy isoflavones, cornmeal, kelp, baby leaves of healthy plants, etc.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
I would not worry about dilution so much, this is natural supplement. You can make your own plant hormones with soy flour, soy isoflavones, cornmeal, kelp, baby leaves of healthy plants, etc.
I should raise the dosage ?

Unless you're using plants of the same species, it'll be impossible to tell whether the product is having any effect. You should look for some cheap potted landscape pines from a garden center or something. In the alternative, look for some seedlings to pull up along the roadside or something, where they're growing together and appear to have come from the same parent plant. This isn't a rigorous science experiment, but you should try to get as close as reasonably possible.
Yes that's true but I hope we can learn something from this experiment, I started today with 1.5gr -1 lt of water

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heck yeah, I am going to do mine in a paste once I find soy meal cheap. Want to color it with a dye so I know where I painted bud hormones a month later.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mhhh, nobody?
maybe is too complicate.....

What about 1.5gr - 1 lt once in two weeks ?
You don't know which cytokinin it is, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to talk about effective dilutions. Zeatin is less strong than benzylaminopurine, and 2-ip can act as both a basal dominant auxin as well as a cytokinin, depending on the species. There are a couple others that have effects on some plants but not others.
Take epibrassinolide for instance; it can work very well or herbs but it doesn't seem to affect trees in the same way.

If you don't know what you have, you can't estimate its effects. Some literature says BAP is very effective on pines at 5mg/L. Some state it's effective at 0.5mg/L.

What I do know is that when you overdose hormones, there is a chance that your plant will be forever altered and might never again respond to normal techniques.

I've been testing a couple common hormones for over decades and their effects and the results shoot in all directions.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just realized that my kids are likely to be having just as many conversations on BNut about hormone treatments and epigenetics as they are conversations about fertilizers.
The next generation of bonsai is going to look as much like @cmeg1's shed as Ryan Niel's benches!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For those who wish to explore some concepts with respect to application of Hormones to promote back budding. Here is an interesting study.
I think it basically summarizes that a number of factors are at play and one variable may not be the answer.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is a scam, kinda,

But if they are organic molecules, you can use it as fertilizer. It might even be good fertilizer. Whatever is in there, bacteria will break it down and the plant can use the NPKs.

I wouldn't go as far as to say 'all fertilizers are the same' and 'the best fertilizer is the cheapest fertilizer', but it is pretty close to that.

It is probably possible to influence tree growth with hormones. But the science and the consumer market aren't anywhere close.

Top Bottom